Incomer through footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

We are having an extension built and the incoming main supply will be right in the middle of the footings. How would I go about protecting the cable?
Could I wrap the cable in insulation and then wrap it in split sleeve duct?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Ducting, length of down pipe, whatever suits. I wouldn’t bother with insulation.

I suspect the description is that the existing supply cable will end up in the footings for the extension. Ideally the cable should be inside a duct so that it can be pulled out and replaced if needed without digging up part of the extension's floor. But it's somewhat difficult to thread a piece of pipe onto an already terminated cable.
I know there are rules for when drains pass through footings - there needs to be a means for the structure to move without breaking the pipe. I don't know if similar rules apply to a cable duct.

Sponsored Links
It ideally needs relocating to a new position, called a service alteration by the DNO.
I’ve seen it before when someone’s had an extension build over the supply cable and it’s failed a few months down the line and is a big messy hassle to sort out to get the power back on.
Best to move it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back