metal main incomer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mains incoming cable goes into big old looking metal case PMS, with no visible fuse. Nothing like the normal plastic jobs we see every day.
Does anybody know if this is still ok ?
when doing an install, say consumer unit..what information would be put on the type and rating of supply protective device characteristics.
metal incomer is sealed..
thanks

Sponsored Links
why didn't you do that to start with? :LOL: descriptions of cutouts are always vague ;)

You could always ask the DNO to come to replace an obselete part, but unless its inherently dangerous (hanging off the wall, rusted through) they probably wont do anything. :(

Sponsored Links
didnt think it would be quite that easy to post pic :D

what do you put on eic ...for this type of cutout no info, rating anything anywhere and not meant to break seal
thanks

Certainly wouldn't play with that cutout! How did you do the CU? ;)

I'd ask the DNO to replace it before I did the CU, looks like TNS to me, quite likely to be BS3063 (and another in the neutral as well!) rating is anyones guess!, not more than 60A though

I think if you contact your electricity supplier and mention that the supplier's seal appears to be damaged or missing, and tghe tails to the meter appear to be perished, they will pop round. If you have another look, I think you'll find I'm right ;) they will check for fused neutral while they're looking at it, I'm sure.

Tell them that the cutout is cast iron and appears to be rusted and in poor condition and you think it should be replaced, with luck they will agree.

Ask if you can be converted to PME (TNC-S) which may cost you £60 or so but is worth it.

I'd say the DNO might know as it looks like they have done something recently with the earth. (done in newer type braid and new block).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DNOs would replace old bitumin filled cutouts for free. Use the "fused neutral" card on them as well, might get you somewhere. I also hazard a guess that the fuses are rewireable and have asbestos in them.

Good old Iron clad's!!!! :D

Where in staffs is it? if it is in staffs that is.

We touch on part of staffs, so if the DNO is scott power tell them you have a FUSED NEUTRAL IRONCLAD and work depending mains are usually there same day.

MEB should be similar.

Just call them up, I'm sure they'd treat it as important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back