Domestic Mains incoming isolation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that my utility supplier will install a isolation device between the main 100 amp incomer fuse and my consumer unit and thereby remove the need to break the main Manweb seal on the 100 amp incomer fuse.

Is this true, is it free, what is it called. It will certainly make life easier for my electrician when he changes the consumer unit in September.

Sponsored Links
they may, it may not be free ( depends on the supplier ), it's called an isolator and it's another point of failure so your electrician may be happy with it or he may not, it depends on the individual ( some on here don't like the idea, others do. )

most sparkies will cut the seal and pull the main fuse anyway ( we're not really supposed to ), and as long as it's obvious what it was done for ( nice new gleaming CU ) then most suppliers don't make a fuss about it and just re-seal it next time they come out.

There is something going on at the moment over the removal of suppliers fuse seems some suppliers authorised some electrical companies to remove and refit fuses and then they realised this was not permitted and with drew the authority.

But the HSE is quite explicit that you should not work live and so at the moment we have two laws which in a way contradict each other.

As a result as ColJack says most electricians will cut seals. Simple rule Heath and Safety first means you cut seal. And MANWEB are quite good at fitting isolators and really that is as it is at the moment only legal way.

However by September this may have changed I know the Electrical Safety Council is pushing for permission to cut seals.

Sponsored Links
it does have a means of isolation, the fuse.
the law does not contradict itself.
we aren't supposed to work live,
we aren't allowed to pull fuses,
ergo, we call the suppliers, and sit on our bums for 3 hours waiting for them to come and pull the fuse out, while charging the customer by the hour.. ;)
seriously, you're supposed to liase with the supplier to come and pull the fuse for you and for them to re-connect afterwards..

Ban's Crafty Invention Of The Week #2.

Assuming that you don't mind replacing the tails, and do want to observe the law re interfering with the DNO fuse, and don't want to charge the customer for sitting around:

A little box which seals around the tails, and contains 2 ceramic cutters which sever them.

Probably be less call for that than the irrigated mini-chainsaw.

I like those new seimens meters with a little isolator and the connection screws for the outgoing tails under a little hatch which is left not sealed.

There is a seperate little hatch for the incomming tails which is sealed :)

BAS, as an alternative, a 3 part enclosure that clips round the tails and isolator which you can remove from the board while still attatched to the tails..

it does have a means of isolation, the fuse.
the law does not contradict itself.
we aren't supposed to work live,
we aren't allowed to pull fuses,
ergo, we call the suppliers, and sit on our bums for 3 hours waiting for them to come and pull the fuse out, while charging the customer by the hour.. ;)
seriously, you're supposed to liase with the supplier to come and pull the fuse for you and for them to re-connect afterwards..

Is this considered an isolator though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back