Main incoming cable 10mm

Oh and why do you think the DNOs are unhappy with it? If they were they would have changed it as it is theirs (collectively) to change!

Sponsored Links
Tell that to the guy up here that connected additional off-peak heaters in a shop taking the total to 28kW, did not get approval, did not uprate tails and got taken to court for £100,000 when the premises burned down!!

Why exactly did the fire start ?

It's not 'me and others' who don't like the situation which is resulting in DNOs rarely being informed/asked about increased loads - it's seemingly the DNOs who don't like it! If they (the DNOs) want more notifying/asking to happen, then it really is they who should do some writing (hopefully about the actual details of the 'requirement' they would like to be complied with!).
No. No, No! Every situation is different, there are a huge variations in supply characteristics so it would be dangerous to have minimum details.
This is getting a bit silly. It really is getting like a speed limit sign which does not indicate the actual limit.
The condition establishes the need so should be complied with, so if we start getting applications for very small loads we will deal with them, but along the way it means we won't miss the big ones!
Unless you're suggesting that people guess what it is that the DNOs want, does this mean that you think that any increases in load should be notified to the DNO?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

Very cold night, small tails to a very old CU, over heated. In itself that should not have been a problem but the meter position was in a room used to store paper (another bugbear of mine).
Heat & combustibles gave a bad result in this case.

(it was that cold that the road turned into an ice rink from water from the fire appliances, such that the Police called out a gritter!)(and strangely enough it was an insurance brokers)

Oh and why do you think the DNOs are unhappy with it?
Sorry if I misunderstood, but you appear to have been expressing strong 'unhappiness' about the fact that load increases were not being notified to DNOs, so I assumed that you were reflecting the DNOs' feelings, not just your own.

If the DNOs are (as you are now seemingly saying) happy with the status quo (i.e. the level of load increase notifications/applications they get), then clearly nothing needs to change - the customers certainly aren't complaining.

Kind Regards, John

Very cold night, small tails to a very old CU, over heated. In itself that should not have been a problem but the meter position was in a room used to store paper (another bugbear of mine). Heat & combustibles gave a bad result in this case.
What would the DNO have done had they been told/asked about the heaters?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry if I misunderstood, but you appear to have been expressing strong 'unhappiness' about the fact that load increases were not being notified to DNO

Yep, but because supposed professional electrical contractors are often not doing it or helping their clients to do so.

Down the line if it causes problems we solve them but often at the expense of upsetting customers. All of which is avoidable!

Sorry if I misunderstood, but you appear to have been expressing strong 'unhappiness' about the fact that load increases were not being notified to DNO
Yep, but because ....
Yes, I realise that, but do you now understand my answer to your question:
Oh and why do you think the DNOs are unhappy with it?
...as I said, I was assuming that the 'strong unhappiness' you were expressing (whatever the 'because ...') reflected the view of DNOs.

Kind Regards, John

I think we both know where we stand.

It's always a pain when it goes wrong and we get the blame which is so needless and annoying.

One recently saw a ground heat source system connected to a rural property, one of a row of 3 terraced houses fed from common mural wiring and a 25kVA transformer.
The other two customers soon started complaining when their lights started to dip on motor start. That led to a huge argument as there had been no additional load application. The customer had to switch it off and try to claim from the installer!

For BAS! The complaints from customers in a similar set up where one was using a 13A plug in welder and playing havoc with their supplies!

I was on the phone to a DNO this afternoon, trying to get the sizes of an external meter box, and I had a few other basic technical questions.

Basically the guy at the end of the phone said 'well what box do you usually use?' and 'hang on let me look on google'.

Oh and I asked what certificate they want to see for the installation 'well whatever one you think is right'. Do I need to be registered with NIC etc? 'Don't know'.

But when I said to him 'well if your guys aren't happy with the meter box I fit, I'll be charged for a wasted visit won't i?. Oh yeah he knew the answer to that question all right.

30 mins on the phone to an 0845 number.
So next time I wont bother, I know no more than I did before the call.

So you were probably talking to an operative in their call centre, who would have very little technical training or knowledge!
Try asking to talk to an engineer or for one to ring you back you would get a better answer

I can see this topic getting further in to woods so I can see that you have more knowledge guys explain to me incoming main cable 10mm to meter from meter to henley from henley tails to original CU and Tails from 25mm SWA to new outbuilding my electrician suggested bend and tray to fit swa cable direct my idea is to terminate swa in to box with gland and run tails in to henley on one side and and same in to new CU this electrician very stubborn I'm trying suggest easy option by my understanding.Because is done some wiring already really don't want to call him off. Can some one tell how will they will be doing this kind of wiring ? As I mention early called today to DNO lady on the phone suggested to call some company to increase fuse size or have 3 phase for around 3k

You don't have a '10mm' supply to your property. It'll be at least 16.0mm² and most likely capable of supporting 100A.

You may need a 25mm² supply to your new building, not just because of current carrying requirements, but due to volts drop, maybe bonding reuirements, or some other factor we don't know as we haven't seen the job.

I don't fully undestand what you're saying about henley blocks and tails? Can you explain a little more?

For easy instalation terminate 25mm swa in junction boxes on both ends and run tails to henley on one side and to new CU on other or i'm wrong suggesting that I will try to post pictures tomorrow as this 25mm cable is pain in a...s to bend my meter box is in fron t of the house and concrete around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back