Incoming meter wiring under-rated?

Now this might be on the edge of compliance, at the meter end use some green/yellow heatshrink to mark the cable (face it a green/yellow cable running down a house wall will look crap)
Do you think it would be any closer to (or perhaps over) the edge of compliance to use G/Y cable and 'sheath' the visible outside bit with a suitable colour of heat-shrink?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John , that is no issue it's just that it could require about 6 - 8m covered (the height of the house) with your way rather than possibly 1m my way

If the cable is being replaced by SP why not ask them if you can be converted to PME? I would argue that they have provided an earth terminal by the fact that its connected all the way back to the pole, the fact that its not connected their end isnt your problem.

That would only work if it is a PME network, as the supply to the house is 3 wire (L, N & unconnected earth) the network may not be PME as it appears to use a separate earth wire this would give a TN-C supply

Sponsored Links
John , that is no issue it's just that it could require about 6 - 8m covered (the height of the house) with your way rather than possibly 1m my way
True, but 'my way' would offer a wide choice of colours, maybe allowing a better choice in relation to the appearance of the wall, whereas 'your way' would be restricted to the very limited number of cable sheath colours available!

As a passing observation .... I inherited an even more 'creative' variant of 'my way' in my house. At some time in the fairly distant past (green, rather than G/Y), part of the run of an earth cable going to a 'remote' CU/DB two or three floors up was routed (presumably for convenience) up the outside of an outside wall. The wall had black and white parts and, rather than paint the cable to match, they had sleeved it with white and black bits of something (presumably not heat-shrink in those days) to match the various parts of the wall. Needless to say, it no longer exists, having long since been replaced by 'internal' (and much fatter) G/Y - but it is perhaps an example of "they don't do 'attention to detail' like what they used to"!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back