Meter Tails and Consumer Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Supply to the property comes into an external meter cabinet, through the wall into the attached garage across the garage to a consumer unit in the house.
There is a 100amp breaker in the meter cupboard, I would like the garage to have its own CU, can I branch off the tails as they pass through the garage ?

Cheers Mick

Sponsored Links
How long are these meter tails?

What type of earthing/supply do you have? TT, TNS, TNCS, etc.

Can you run a sub-main from the house consumer unit?
This may be a better way.

Thanks for the response, its a new build with 12 mtrs 25mm tails to the CU, that said when the power was installed they only used 16mm from the meter, he confirmed this was standard practice which suprised me after all I had read on here.
TT earth .. an earthing rod external at the point of entry by the installers.

It seems logical to pick up from the existing tails rather than run another cable back to the garage.

Cheers Mick.

You would have to ensure the garage board is RCD protected as you have TT supply. Possibly 100 mA incoming switch, then 30 mA on sockets and probably lights too...

Or perhaps 30 mA only. Various ways of doing it. What circuits do you require in the garage?

Tails should be same size as existing. Joint done by so-called Henley block.

Still think it would be a better job if you can feed garage board from house board.

Is the house cu close to attached garage?

Are you intending on doing this work yourself? I don't really consider this typical DIY work.
I think you should seek further advice or get an electrician first.

Send pictures if possible.

Sponsored Links
Hi SW.
CU is not fitted on the garage adjoining wall hence the length of the tails and the reason for not favouring a return cable.
Garage CU would supply ..
Internal lights
External lights
Wall sockets
Motorised doors
Freezer independant supply
Alarm system
Drive lighting

Cheers Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back