Consumer Unit Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will shortly be moving into a new house which has an old consumer unit next to the meter on a wall in the integral garage. The only way into the garage is through the front garage door - there is no access from inside the house.

On the other side of this wall is a large under-stairs cupboard (with a proper 6ft door) and I was thinking about having a new CU relocated to this cupboard.

EDIT: I tell a lie - the door is about 4ft high!

I would have a DP 100A isolating switch in the garage close to the meter, and then run tails from this through the wall straight into the back of the CU. The tails would be no longer than 3m.

I prefer the CU to be easily accessible from inside the house, but not on-show in a room. So does this sound reasonable? Or would you recommend just keeping the CU where it is?

Thanks in advance for your advice and criticism! I don't need the Part P preambles - I, or an electrician, will comply.

Sponsored Links
Sounds OK to me.

Don't forget that you will also have to figure out some way to extend the circuits to the new CU position!

Thanks nozspark.

Don't forget that you will also have to figure out some way to extend the circuits to the new CU position!
That will be accomplished by a rewire!

TGQH though.. (EDIT.... TBQH though..)

you may find that it will be easier to access in the garage; because once you've got your vacuum cleaner, ironing board, boxes of shoes and Christmas decorations in the cupboard they'll all be in the way!!

Also as you'll be making a hole through a fire barrier (garage wall) into the house you'll have to ensure that it remains sealed to the spread of fire after you've done your alterations!

Sponsored Links
Also as you'll be making a hole through a fire barrier (garage wall)... remains sealed...
Noted.

I reckon the garage will be much, much worse than the cupboard re. stuff... The storage of Xmas decorations has made me think more than once of becoming Jewish.
And I will buy you and everyone else on this forum a drink if a car is ever put in the garage!

EDIT: "TGQH" :?: EDIT. Ah. :)

Making holes in fire barriers is not something I've done, and it's clearly an issue here: what's the most appropriate method to retain the integrity of the fire wall when a cable passes through in this case?

Some kind of intumescent seal, either add-on or integrated into suitable ducting.

b-a-s: any chance of a nice link to a suitable product? Would intumescent putty be OK with PVC?

Presumably fire-rated foam/caulk would be just as suitable as an intumescent seal?

Seal the pipe with this: ...
That's great.

Again thanks to everyone - this forum is fantastic (& educational).

I will post a thread with pics during the rewire that will hopefully be of interest to folk (other than me).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back