Meter Tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to re-site a consumer unit in a garage. The garage is attached to the house and the meter is adjacent to the garage in the cupboard under the stairs.

Is there any reg which states I cant pass the meter tails through the wall directly into the CU mounted in the garage?

I was going to use an isolator under the stairs as well so the supply can be isolated from in the house.

Whats the opinion?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't sound any different to having an external meter box to me so I do not think you have a problem with your proposal as long as the tails are not too long.

RobFurn said:
I need to re-site a consumer unit in a garage. The garage is attached to the house and the meter is adjacent to the garage in the cupboard under the stairs.

Is there any reg which states I cant pass the meter tails through the wall directly into the CU mounted in the garage?

I was going to use an isolator under the stairs as well so the supply can be isolated from in the house.

Whats the opinion?

Could be inconvenient if you need to isolate only one ciruit ( say a ring main ) but need to keep the lights on. Hang a torch next to the isolator.

And if the garage has an electric door opener ENSURE the emergency release is working by testing it frequently.

Sponsored Links
IIRC the minimum size of tails is 25mm² if they pass through a wall.

is that a reg that the size of tails has to be 25mm or just an electricity supplier preference?

i think its more to do with possible corrosion of cables and it is a reg, yes

Are you 100% because all i ever see is 16mm tails and western power to do not question what we install
:confused:
thanks

Sorry, I still don't agree with this.

Why does 16mm 'corrode' any more than 25mm would? Should be wire our sockets, and indeed every other circuit fed from that CU in 25mm tails aswell?

I would be interested to know where this myth has come from, but it has no backing IMO.

What I find awkward to judge is when you have a henly block full of tails from 25, through sixteen, down to 10mm².

That OK?

As long as the overcurrent protection is provided for the cables of smaller CSA downstream and the fault current protection can be satisfied by the adiabatic equation for the upstream protective device then they are OK. As with all circuits, the CSA of a cable needs to be selected for the design current etc of the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back