main fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably an old one to the site regulars,but i have just looked at the main incoming fuse,and found its an old 40amp one.Trouble is the house was wired by the council and a new 100amp consumer box was installed.House is now private.
Should this fuse be uprated by the electrical supplier,i take it,it should be changed to either 80 or 100 amp.???
It obviously should have been done by the council when they uprated the box.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
electricians, council-employed or otherwise, do not change cut-out fuses. The only people who will do this are DNO people. Phone the people who send your electric bill.

How do you know its 40 amps?

If it blows call your supplier, they will most likely uprate it.

If it doesn't blow don't worry about it.

I have had it out to check it.Surprising the fuse is not tagged ,wire locked crimped or ,there is no nice colourful stickers on it.I did take the load off the supply before i removed it.
I will contact the supplier i check with them,they will probably tell me to get a elecky in.?

Thanks lads.

Sponsored Links
The supplier will contact your DNO. If the supply cable is not suitable you will have to pay for it to be upgraded before the fuse can be changed.

You might get a quicker response by contacting your DNO directly if you know who they are. Check the wiki for a map.

DONT tell the DNO you've had the fuse out to check. its their property and you arent meant to be touching it so i dont know as you can really ring them up to tell them..... :LOL:

a 40A fuse will take a small overload for quite some time (dont have my brown bible to hand otherwise i could give you a rough figure) so its unlikelly to cause you any problems.

however i suppose if you really wanted it changed then you could put the cooker on full whilst taking a long shower and bioling the kettle, whilst listening to the TV and also making some toast....ect..... if you get where im coming from! :LOL:

you can gaurantee they'l be round in 3 hours max to sort you out. just remember

''crimp seal missing from the cutout?.....no mate, its always been like that! everything just went off!......honest''

''crimp seal missing from the cutout?.....no mate, its always been like that! everything just went off!......honest''

"Must have been council electricians when they upgraded consumer unit"

Would be a good line

Thanks i never thought about that one ,but i think the brand new consumer box would a dead give away.
I will remember it well thanks.

No mate its definately 40A.They funny thing is southern electric whom are now my supplier,i rang them and they said they would send a elecky round,thought that was kind,but yes at my expense.
The main service fues was fitted when the cable was installed and was 40A,they must not of had elecky showers in the early years.
The incoming cable is 25mm,by the looks of it.

thanks

regards

Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back