Incoming gas pipe depths - new driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a new driveway at my house and came across a gas pipe warning marker, just along the top corner of where the proposed driveway will be. The path outside my house is about 1m higher than the road, so the plan was to build a small retaining wall alongside the grass to hold this back. The concrete path is likely to also go, either to become part of the drive or sloping paving/ steps (I'm still trying to figure it out).

A couple of questions;
1. How deep does the gas pipe have to be under paving, driveway, small retaining wall
2. I'm hand digging this (yes its a lot, its due to my disposal location). Am I OK to hand dig the gas pipe if I'm being really carful to determine its depth?
3. If I need to lower the gas pipe, I assume I need to get the authority in to do this. Will they just do a connection in my garden to lower it between say my garden wall and my meter? Any idea on cost for this?
4. Any other comments/ recommendations/ suggestions?

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Attachments

• Gas pipe.jpg
    Gas pipe.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
Gas pipes often aren't very deep, if you're digging nearby, do so with caution. If the service needs moving, only the Gas people can do that. You'll have to ask for a quote, but it isn't likely to be cheap!

typically, Utilities want a 375mm depth for a residential gas service pipe.

some utilties allow you to dig the trench - but they lay the pipe and make connections.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I am somewhat hoping that the pipe is 375mm deep at the meter location, but then the 500mm or so deep where it goes under the pavement. If they have laid it at a constant gradient (the path is about 1m higher than the pavement) I might be lucky and it might be deep enough where I need it to be.

I'll dig very carefully and see where I'm at.

Does it have to be deeper under a wall, or as long as its say surrounded by sand, could I build the foundation for the wall on top of it? (after marking it of course with tape).

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back