Gas supply pipe depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had our gas meter moved by National Grid. I had read previously that underground gas pipes should be at least 350mm deep. However while this pipe was being put in, before the trench was backfilled I measured the depth to be just 250mm. I mentioned this to the installer who said that it was ok to do it at that depth and I just took his word for it. However I'm wondering if he was just fobbing me off and could not be bothered to dig deeper and dig under a drain crossing the trench. I paid almost £700 for this job which took them about half a day to do so if it has indeed been done incorrectly I'd like to complain. We are considering replacing the driveway and thus I am going to have to be very careful digging in that area in order not to damage the pipe. I don't remember seeing a warning tape being put in either, is warning tape mandatory?

I am left very unimpressed with the organisation of National Grid in general, they seemed very disorganised, lost our first order/payment we did online, when the guys turned up to do the job they did not know what they were supposed to be doing even though my dad had discussed it with others at National Grid.

Many thanks, lee.

Sponsored Links
Depnds what the top cover will be, drive-path-garden-road etc

Depnds what the top cover will be, drive-path-garden-road etc

Currently Portland cement concrete driveway (although it looks more like crazy paving at the moment due to cracking), although this maybe replaced with block paving.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back