Incoming mains - Should I be concerned & what should I d

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my house about 5 years ago, the consumer unit had just been replaced but there were still a couple of lights (1 under the stairs & 1 outside) wired to an older box. I removed the old box and wired it into the new one some time ago. I noticed that the supply into the house (1930s) which runs between the party wall and pops in just above the meter has damaged insulation. The cloth outer is completey missing on one section?. Is this okay? The other thing is that I have no earth. I have an earth connection to the incoming lead water pipe, my side of the gas meter and the rest of the internal plumbing. Is this enough? There is certainly no earth connection to the metal main fuse box (not my side of the meter). Is this a problem? Is it my problem? What should I do?
Thanks
Neil

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the service head, and the earth cables?

Is the main switch on your CU just a switch, or an RCD?

It's a split load CU with a switch and an RCD. Trying to sort a picture now.
Cheers, Neil.

The earth wire that exits the CU to the laft goes to the water and gas, The one that goes down goes to the central heating etc.
The SWA goes to the shed.

The earth that you can see here is the one that goes to the central heating etc. It just passes behind the board that everythin is fixed to.

Cheers, Neil.

Sponsored Links
Don't panic. But that looks like very poor workmnship, no cables fixed down or protected, incorrect earth bonding on armoured cable in side of CU, just from a quick look.
If you are concerned, contact an electrician registered with a competent persons scheme to carry out an inspection and test (PIR)

I will certainlty get somebody to have a look at the earthing arrangement.

At what point does the condition of the supply become my responsibility? As soon as comes through the wall? After the meter? Should I speak to the electricity board the about the damgaed insulation on the incoming supply?

Many thanks
Neil

I noticed that the supply into the house (1930s) which runs between the party wall and pops in just above the meter has damaged insulation. The cloth outer is completey missing on one section?. Is this okay?
Neil

An electrician will not touch that. if it is BEFORE the meter.

That needs the DNO/ electric board to sort out,

If you feel that it is unsafe you can report that as a dangerous situation and they will come out eventually.

However if they arrive and it is not, then they might charge you.

they will proberly arrange to replace that old metal supply box as well.

Do not attempt, to ever open that, yourself

The SWA goes to the shed.
What is going on with that earth clamp on the gland?

The earth that you can see here is the one that goes to the central heating etc. It just passes behind the board that everythin is fixed to.
Looks like that's your supply earth, so it should go the/a main earth terminal (which could be inside the CU, but is often external).

Then the earth for the circuits runs from the MET to the CU, and the main bonding for the incoming services runs from the MET to the services...

Is it possible that its been converted to a TT (earth electrode) supply via the swa cable?

Oh sorry it was rather an old post !
I have'nt been on the forum for quite some time and was just browsing thru
But I also didn't realise there was a time limit on posting comments?
Ok perhaps the OP maybe long gone but there maybe new or perhaps more knowledgeable members who may come back to the topic and enlighten us all :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back