Incomplete solder join...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Stupidly I used an old length of pipe to join to a new piece, using a solder ring coupling. Although I cleaned it, there was a slight bit of oxidation I couldn't remove which went slighly into the joint, but deepest half of the joint was clean...
Anyway the expected happened and the solder didn't flow all way round. Testing the joint it didn't leak, but theres a 1mm gap.

Any recommendations? I thought about applying super glue or an epoxy on it?

Or are you all going to say just rip it off and start again?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You dont say what this is to be used for and how much of a problem it would cause if it leaked.

What pipe size is it?

If its 1mm gap between the pipe and the outside of the fitting then something is wrong!

Tony

Sorry, should have clarified, 1mm around the circumference, on the T to a washbasin....

You're probably right its worth starting again as it's buggin me already! The other two are a work of art (IMO, if I do say so myself), but noticed this when cleaning the joint this morning...

When it comes to soldering, cleanliness is next to godliness right?

And one other thing I wanted to know, is when joining a T, do people heat the whole joint evenly or focus on one joint then the next and so on?

Sponsored Links
When im soldering t's i usually apply heat to all three outlets at one time, but just before i solder i apply a bit more to the end im about to solder, This usually works for me ;)

I still dont know your pipe size!

If its a 22 mm fitting and you have a 1 mm gap ALL round the pipe then the pipe is only 20mm in diameter!

Are you sure you know what pipe sizes you have?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back