Incorrect flashing of BIOS, new chip required

M

Mickymoody

I posted in general, but the thread was deleted...???? My other has a MB with dodgy memory sockets, I have a spare MB, but the BIOS is broke..

How to replace the BIOS?

One idea is to boot on a good BIOS, hotswap the BIOS chip, then flash the bad BIOS (dodgy)

Sponsored Links
One idea is to boot on a good BIOS, hotswap the BIOS chip, then flash the bad BIOS (dodgy)

This is about the only option if you're not willing to part with money. It's not dangerous as long as you have the tools.

Others are to purchase a programmer, or to purchase a pre-flashed chip online (have a google, I don't use such services so I can't recommend any).

This is about the only option if you're not willing to part with money. It's not dangerous as long as you have the tools.

Others are to purchase a programmer, or to purchase a pre-flashed chip online (have a google, I don't use such services so I can't recommend any).

If I had a good BIOS, I'd be using it. If I had a good chip, then I could programme it, so only option, purchase a pre flashed chip.

If I had a good BIOS, I'd be using it. If I had a good chip, then I could programme it, so only option, purchase a pre flashed chip.

What makes you think there's something wrong with the chip?

If you have a functioning board with the same socket, you can swap the chip after boot, flash it, and put it back where it came from. Even seen that done with AGP cards.

Sponsored Links

What makes you think there's something wrong with the chip?

If you have a functioning board with the same socket, you can swap the chip after boot, flash it, and put it back where it came from. Even seen that done with AGP cards.

I need a compatible BIOS chip in order to do that. And what if something goes wrong? Hotswapping, means 2 boards broken. How does a computer work without it's 'brain' ? BASIC INPUT OUTPUT SYSTEM?

I'm all for flashing chips externally, I used to program go faster chips for Cosworths, but not BIOS chips.

The chip works, just flashed with incorrect information.

I need a compatible BIOS chip in order to do that. And what if something goes wrong? Hotswapping, means 2 boards broken.

You only need a compatible socket on the working machine. The ROM itself does not need to be identical. There is a small risk of breaking the board, if you're worried you're unable to pull and insert a chip safely, don't try it.

How does a computer work without it's 'brain' ? BASIC INPUT OUTPUT SYSTEM?

It's loaded into memory on boot, the ROM isn't read after that..

I'm all for flashing chips externally, I used to program go faster chips for Cosworths, but not BIOS chips.

Well, go net yourself a programmer and sort it out.

Small planet Micky. I also used to work with cosworth developing radio data systems for a quicker refresh rate in comms with the driver for video, geo and voice. Based in Wellingborough, Northants. I guess we may have met?

Back