Incorrectly installed french door(?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

With this bout of bad weather the UK is experiencing at the moment, it's reminding me of things leaking that I really need to solve in my house. One of the leaks is my french doors that open inwards.

I suspect I have 2 problems, but I'm not that experienced with homely matters, so would value some feedback.

Basically, it looks to me that the doors have been installed incorrectly. I've come to this conclusion from the following:

1) There is a drainage weep hold on the 'inside' side of the door, which is just weeping water onto the inside floor.
2) When looking at why there was water needing to come through this hole, it seems that the seal (if you can call it that) around the glass on the outside is just, what appears to be, foam. On on the 'inside' it's rubber.

I've taken a couple of pictures to show what I mean:

1st is of the outside foam
2nd is the inside rubber (not the clearest)
3rd is the hole on the inside of the door.

https://imgur.com/a/DXRrAAb

Does it look to be installed incorrectly? If it is, I suspect that the only way to fix, is to remove and switch it around, so that it opens outside.

Attachments

• PXL_20211101_175431097.jpg
    PXL_20211101_175431097.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20211101_174639508.jpg
    PXL_20211101_174639508.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20211101_174621209.jpg
    PXL_20211101_174621209.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 106
  • PXL_20211102_184547924.jpg
    PXL_20211102_184547924.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 107
  • PXL_20211102_184610788.jpg
    PXL_20211102_184610788.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you saying your french doors open into the room?

it’s not clear from your pictures what’s what, try to take a photo showing the whole door, one with door open showing the cill.

Try to attach them to your new post, if you scroll down you can upload images, add them as thumbnails, will be easier.

(y)

just thought, is it a conservatory?

Yeah they open inwards.

I've taken more picutes and will upload and edit the post, thanks.

It's just a door into terrace side return (think that's the right name)

I would have thought the rubber gasket should be on the outside.

The weep hole, should also be on the outside.

Someone will be along to give you a professional opinion, I have got any doors similar to compare, mine are wood.

Sponsored Links
Looking at those , yes they are round the wrong way. Drainage holes should always be outside ( for obvious reasons lol ) , and I don't think I've ever seen the foam ' security tape' put to the outside on upvc. My guess would be that because they would be ' externally glazed ' when turned around d , someone thought they weren't safe/secure, so switched it. Externally glazed with good quality security tape should be fine....worst case when you switch it round and remove the glass, cut all the security tape out ad when reglazing use wedge gasket instead .
My honest opinion is that open out doors re better anyway , especially in exposed location, as when the wind is blowing, its actually blowing the door sashes onto the door frame seals, making them a tighter fit. I always recommend that to our customers

A policeman I spoke to once said outward opening doors are generally more secure, as they can’t be kicked in.

All the rage in Scandinavian countries, but not so much here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back