Incorrectly wired photocell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light above my front door which we tend to keep switched on as a security feature.

Upon clearing out some bugs from the fitting, I realised that the light has a dusk till dawn photo-cell fitted however this doesn’t seem to operate as the light is always on.

On inspecting the wiring, the switched live into 2 meets the photo-cell (3 core off to the left) and also the live from the ballast so effectively the photo-cell is bypassed.

My thinking was that the live from the ballast should go into No 1 which in theory is the live out from the cell leaving live in, in No 2.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 3E9C729B-BA35-442A-941A-B13E40011E44.jpeg
    3E9C729B-BA35-442A-941A-B13E40011E44.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 203
Sponsored Links
Looks like someone has intentionally by-passed it or at least disconnected it, what does the brown core of the grey cable connect to? I suspect that would have originally connected to No 1 with your switch inside only then acting as an override, when the switch is in the off position the photocell would bring the light on at dusk and off at dawn.

Looks like someone has intentionally by-passed it or at least disconnected it, what does the brown core of the grey cable connect to? I suspect that would have originally connected to No 1 with your switch inside only then acting as an override, when the switch is in the off position the photocell would bring the light on at dusk and off at dawn.
The live is just “terminated” in a connector block.

So if I connect the constant live to 1 that should activate the photocell when the light is switched off with he switch acting as an override?

Possibly. Put the brown on 1, turn the over-ride switch off and see if it works.

It may be the case that the detector circuit is knackered, so its been rewired as a straight on/off light. If it has died and you want to have PIR/photocell facility, then a new fitting may be required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back