increase loft floor strength

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a hot water cylinder / cistern in the loft space. I have no where else in the house where it can go. The tiny airing cupboard won't accommodate. The loft is huge but the issue is with the strength...

I have 4 by 2 joists and the tank/cistern capacity is 138 litres plus weight of empty tank so all together around 165kg ish. There is 1 wall seperating the bedrooms that I presume is load bearing. I live in a mid terrace and this wall runs from one neighbour side to the other so not like i can rest new joists on two walls.

Can you give me any ideas of what i can do? Really don't know how i can improve the strength. it takes my weight fine 80kg if any consolation...

can you guys help? :rolleyes:

MOD 2

you have already asked this question in building

Sponsored Links
Find the two loading bearing wall, run extra bigger joists depending on the span then exterior plywood for the base. You might have to pack the joist up a little with small section of plywood under the joists to clear the plasterboard or plaster & lath ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back