Increasing internal door width possible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it possible to add strips to an internal door to extend its width ? I am after a safe and secure solution !

I have seen a wooden door we want as an internal porch door however it only comes as 30" and we would want it to be 33" ..

Would adding wood to the sides be the only way to do this and if so anyone done it successfully without the door falling apart !?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can plant a timber each side with screws/glue but depending on the finish you want although 33" door are available failing that put in smaller door frame inside to allow 30" then finish off with wide architrave etc

you say "safe and secure"
if this door forms part off the house security then no you need an external door
if its a panel door it will look odd with wide styles when you add the timber

reducing the opening is the neatest but may hamper bringing furniture into the house

OK so safe and secure as in the door wont fall apart, not for security, thats my concern ...

We want to keep the door as wide as possible as you say for access as its a new internal porch so 33" it is, there is no option to reduce this. The front door is 36" so we have the width in the hall to do it, I have no chance of getting a 36" door to match the others so am trying to go for the next best at 33" !

My only other option is to replace all the doors on the downstairs to match .. not something I want to think about !!

It will be painted but I do not want to see any obvious join from the door and the "extensions" or want it to fall apart ...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back