Indesit DIF04 UK dishwasher fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please.

After finishing last cycle and emptying out the pots, I closed the door. Later it was noticed that the finished light was still flashing - as though it hadn't acknowledged that the door had been closed. (It should normally turn off). Thought nothing of this and turned the unit off.

Later loaded it again, turned it on and closed the door. Cycle has not started after several hours. The selected programme light remains lit (not flashing).

Thought the door catch wasn't engaging when closed, so pushed it in manually with the door fully open, to simulate the door being closed. Dishwasher started with the door fully open!?

Pushed the door closed but on reaching a position above about 45 degrees the dishwasher cycle stops. It starts again when the door is returned to the fully open position (parallel to the floor) !?

Any thoughts? Is there a tilt switch or proximity sensor that has gone awry?

Sponsored Links
Remove the door panel and check the wiring that goes down inside the door also check the bar that holds the wiring on has not snagged it.

Your dead right. The brown wires to the door catch are sheared through and the earth wire is fraying, right at the bottom of the door.

Indesit are clearly aware that this could become an issue as they have attempted to sheath it in some black tape. Strangely the thin orange wires are intact. Bit disappointed that this has happened as i have only had the unit for just less than 3 years. Oh well.

I will now attempt to fix, and hope that it is made safe / robust when i do so. Any suggestions on the best way to fix? - there is not a-lot of slack in the wiring!

Many thanks.

Try butt connectors from halfords that should do it

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I hadn't seen, heard or used these before. What amp rating would be needed (i am no electrician)? - guessing not high as its a simple switch, but you can get anything from 5 - 30 A from what i can see. The supply is on a 13A fuse, so i would guess 15A should be more than enough?

Do i need to heat shrink as well ? Or just wrap with electrical tape? I want a safe finish as don't want to risk the family, so will do whatever is best practice - other than pay a premium for an engineer to do a 10minute job.

As long as it's butt connected that should be fine you can put some black tape over it just to be sure. It's a common fault.

Got it all sorted yesterday. Butt connectors & black tape. Thanks for the help to identify and fix. I imagine it is a common fault with the way the wiring is designed / installed by Indesit. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back