Indian Stone Questions / Advice

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, looks like I will have to order 2 cubic meters of hardcore then,

For the mortar mix I should be borrowing a cement mixer.

So 25mm depth of mortar should be less than half a cubic meter of sand, how does this eqaute to cement.

Ie roughly how many bags of cement should I buy?

Thanks for all the advice,

Prep work is all done now, and I have the stone, hardcore, and sand now.

Just need to hire the compactor

Sponsored Links
Getting there with it now,

Laid the hardcore, and compacted, used 2 of the ton bags and only just had enough. Done just over half of the stone and we've nearly used 1 ton bag of sand, and 6 bags of cement.

Going to have to order another ton of sand and fetch some more cement. It's taken a lot more time than I expected, but it's coming along nicely

It's been over a week since I laid the first half now,

Due to bad weather it's not progressed any further yet and I avoided walking on it for a week, but walked on it yesterday, one of the slabs became loose,

I'm now a bit worried incase the others come loose and incase we've done anything wrong!

I'll pull the loose one out chisel out the mortar bed and redo but what did I do wrong, so I can make sure the rest are done in the best way?

I haven't pointed between them yet - so does that introduce a weakness? Should I avoid walking on them at all until they are pointed? Any other tips?

The mix has been approx 4:1, mixed in a cement mixer, then dumped into a wheel barrow then dumped into place.

As stated in the post before we've used more sand and cement than we expected if that makes any difference!

Were the slabs dusty? Did you paint a slurry of neat cement on the backs? Did you use 5 blobs? Can you post a pic of the slab u pulled up (the hole that it came from and the underside of the slab)

Thanks for the reply, not got any pictures at the moment but I'll try and answer your questions:

The slabs weren't dusty but they were dry.

No slurry of neat cement (should I have done)

No we didn't use 5 blobs, we laid them on a bed of mortar.

The stone we pulled up was one of the larger pieces it was 520x520mm, the back of it was perfectly clean exactly how it was when laid. The mortar bed is rock solid and will need chiselling out to rebed the slab.

I would guess your mortar was quite dry and perhaps a hot day. I find the mortar needs to "wet" the back of the slab to get good adhesion.

As well as slightly wetter mortar 'wash' the bottom of the slabs with a brush dipped in a bucket of water before laying. Works wonders.

Thanks for the tips,

So wetter mix and wet slabs?

So I don't need to do any of the painting neat cement on or 5 blobs that wabitpoo was talking about?

It was quite a warm day and the slabs that lifted were probably the last of a mix each time.

Oh well, it's getting there - just hope no others lift!

Will the pointing help them to be more secure? Or is it the mortar bed which secrues them in place?

Thanks for the tips,

So wetter mix and wet slabs?

So I don't need to do any of the painting neat cement on or 5 blobs that wabitpoo was talking about?

It was quite a warm day and the slabs that lifted were probably the last of a mix each time.

Oh well, it's getting there - just hope no others lift!

Will the pointing help them to be more secure? Or is it the mortar bed which secrues them in place?

If the mix was wet enough to start with just cover the barrow to keep it from drying off. If it's a much cooler day then don't worry too much.

Wabitpoo I guess was checking you haven't used the 5 spot technique which Tommy Walsh should be shot for advocating. It can lead to wobbly slabs and allows frost under slabs which can crack or pop the mortar bond. Carry on with your full bed.

Some stone suppliers recommend a neat cement slurry on the back of slabs, I just use water but you will get a good bond using a slurry. Up to you.

The mortar bed mainly but pointing does prevent lateral movement over time, also prevents frost and weeds. Make sure when you get that far that it's a damp mix though, most definitely not dry.

in this hot weather the ground and the salbs will pull the moisture out very quickly, so if its not a wet mix they can get loose. as well as the advice above i always give them a little wiggle at the end just to finish off!

sotal

I laid a patio with Indian slate a while ago. I painted the back of the slabs with a couple of dabs from a paddle brush of uni-bond and water ratio 4:1.

I also used a wet mix of sand and cement ratio 4:1 (normall bricklaying mix) with plasticiser ( or a drop of washing up liquid) which will reduce the amount of water needed for a mortar mix and help bring the fat to the surface of the mortar when the slabs are laid.

I would also advise you to point the slabs with 3/4:1 semi dry mix as soon as the mortar has hardened. Use a short board or plank to spread your weight over the slabs while pointing. If the pointing is done 2/3 days after being laid then both mortar and semi-dry mix will cure roughly the same time (about a week) so as you asked pointing WILL make them more secure.

There are bowl shaped cutting discs available on the market designed for cutting curves but they are expensive....
http://www.rightlines.ltd.uk/Curve-Cutting-Diamond-Blades.aspx

Hope all goes well with rest of the patio.

Here's a couple of pics of the patio I laid using Indian slate....
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/members/cannyfradock-albums-patio-picture1080-
finishttp://www.fornobravo.com/foru...-patio-showing-cottage-enclosed-swimming.html
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/mem...picture1071-bloody-jigsaw-driving-me-mad.html

Terry C.F)

Thanks for that, I can't view the pictures of yours as I'm not a member of that site.

They all seem to be stuck down very well now, all slabs since have been wet when laid and the mix has been a little wetter.

We've decided not to have the curve, partly because I don't think I can do it neat enough and partly as it gives us slightly more patio space by not having a curve and party as it should be easier. So we are now having it angular so all lines will be straight cuts.

It's taking ages to do but I'm only spending a day a week on it and have also had to shift all the materials round the back etc.

But I'd rather take ages and do it right rather than rush it and have to redo it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back