Indirect Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Around 2018 I moved to Croatia but I had owned the house for a while as a renovation project. I designed and installed a solid fuel central heating system. It used pumped central heating with gravity hot water. That design was chosen so the hot water cylinder could act as a heat sink in the event of pump failure or electricity cuts. The problem was, the indirect cylinder never got hot using the boiler, so I had to use the immersion heater all year round. I had bought the cylinder secondhand on Ebay in UK. I used the system for a few years like that but then had a flood. The indirect coil had failed and overfilled the expansion tank for the central heating. I cut up the cylinder to see what had happened. I discovered that the coil was not one fat pipe but several thin ones, This is why it never worked, it was only suitable for fully pumped systems! I could not buy a direct replacement cylinder in Croatia so I fitted an Ariston, mains pressure indirect cylinder. This works fine with the boiler and is also better insulated than the UK cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the system water is still open vented but the hot water is now mains pressure with an expansion vessel. It meets the regulations here and in fact the plumbers merchants don't even stock parts for open vented plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back