Indirect Heating problem with NO Hot Water to taps !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, ive checked the FAQ's and cant really pin point my problems. I have 2 as below:
1) I have a small boiler heating up an indirect cylinder, with the usual cold water storage tank to the loft space also there is a F&E tank all full and in working order, now the problem is im getting absolutely no hot water (not even a drop) out of my bath taps and kitchen sink !!! cold water from the bath is present and fine, could this be air lock or a blockage of some sort, if so how do you clear them?
2) Dont know if these are linked but when we put the hot water on for heating from the programmer, the boiler fires and heats the water in the cylinder which is ok but also the heating in the rads get hot too even when the central heating is off from the programmer, could the motorised valve have gone?

please help cheers, much appreciated

Sponsored Links
1. sounds like an airlock in the feed from the cylinder.

2. what is it a 3 port valve ?
imagesug.jpg

Hi Seco,
yes its a 3 port motorised valve but its navy blue in colour if that helps, probably stuck in neutral position I would think, do you agree?

How do I clear the suspected air lock from the hot water pipework?

Cheers mate

yes its a 3 port motorised valve but its navy blue in colour if that helps,
could be a switchmaster or horstmann.
has it a name or model number on the casing ?
probably stuck in neutral position I would think, do you agree?
no.

when hw on only check all outlets of the valve hw/heating if they are all hot as far along the outlets as you can feel then the valve is not shutting fully.

could be crud in the port or the paddle is faulty.

How do I clear the suspected air lock from the hot water pipework?

have you a mixer tap in the kitchen or bathroom ?

Sponsored Links
Hi mate, yeah its horsmann I think, looks as if its got limescale in and around the little lever.

Yes there is a mixer tap to the bathroom basin, whats the procedure my man?
thanks

Hi mate, yeah its horsmann I think, looks as if its got limescale in and around the little lever.
sounds like its been leaking.
did you check the heating pipe with only hw on ?
Yes there is a mixer tap to the bathroom basin, whats the procedure my man?
thanks

if you can open the hot fully put the palm of you hand and block the spout and open the cold tap, not to mad or you'll be soaked.
the cold will push the hot backwards and push any air out.

hold it for about a min then remove palm and shut cold the hot should carry on running then open the other hot taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back