induced voltage

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I was at a job today to repair a elv living room light fitting. It was controlled by 2 way switching. The light fitting was faulty but i was measuring a voltage of 81v on the switch live when the switch was off. Also 40v when you switched the other switch on and the same switch off again.

When either switch was in the on position i measured 240v. All insulation resistance readings fine and continuity etc. I fitted a new pendant fitting and when i inserted the lamp the 81v or 40v disappeared. Obviously discharged through the filament but the lamp did not glow at all. When either switch was switched on the lamp worked fine. I tried fitting a low energy lamp to see if the81v or 40v would try and start it up but it never.

Is this just an induced voltage? and why did the lamp not glow with it? Also could this have caused the original elv light to go faulty as it has only been in for 4 weeks?

any answers greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like an induced voltage, but in this instance that is all it is a voltage.As soon as you connect a resistance to it, it will drop away (the lower the resistance the more it will drop)
As your tester is probably of a high impedance it will still measure the voltage.If it were of lower impedance it probably would not measure a voltage at all.

IIRC it is normally caused by capacitice coupling, the resistance of the fillament is enough to pull the voltage down. I take it you were using a high impedance DVM to measure this?

Beaten by Ricicle!! :LOL:

Yeah, to add it could be induced voltage if the switch cables are ran close to other power cables, but as Spark said it could also be capacitive coupling!

Sponsored Links
My meter is a Fluke (digital) so i take it this will have a high impedance.

Thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back