Inductiob hob wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to replace our aging kitchen. We want to install an induction hob and replace the electric oven. Our neighbor who is kitchen installer come over to give us a quote. He metioned that we would need a new feed just for the induction hob and he mentioned a 10mm cable.
The manufacturer is not mentioning anything in the brochures.

Our ceiling in the kitchen is down at the moment, so it would be easy to put new cables in.
What wiring and fuse do we usually need for an induction hob?

Sponsored Links
we can't say, but you could tell us the kilowatt rating and we could work out diversity for you. cable installattion method not known.

The electrical connection rating is 7.2 KW. This is if all rings are on full power.

Sponsored Links
Normally a cooker circuit is 6mm² on 30A/32A protection.
This is good for cookers up to 15kW.

Do you have a 'cooker' switch on the wall?
If so there may already be a suitable circuit there.

Your hob would be quite satisfactory on 2.5mm² and 20A.
It would be silly to install that if a new circuit is required but it shows what you need.

The electrical connection rating is 7.2 KW. This is if all rings are on full power.
7200/230 = 31.3 Amps which would likely be the full capacity of the feed however in real terms it is unlikely you will ever draw the full capacity so in real terms oven and hob on the same feed is unlikely to be a problem and even if it was worse case the trip comes out.

Also it is hard to work out full capacity as the boost is often designed so out of 4 heat areas you can only use two when boost is being used. As an induction hob owner I find boost is only used to boil water the heat is so high that any food is burn when using boost.

Also from my mothers induction hob experience I would warn against touch controls. The speed of reaction when turning the knobs is one of the great things. No longer does one need to lift a pan because it is about to boil over giving a far safer cooker. However many of the touch controls need multi touches to alter levels and this then means the whole advantage of speed of reaction is lost due to the silly touch controls.

Also for children and people in a wheel chair often the indicators are invisible at their angle of view. Couldn't understand my mothers problem until I got to her level then mainly as a result of the touch controls but also because of worries of EMC with her old pace maker the induction hob had to be replaced with a halogen hob.

Learn from our mistake.

Thanks for the replies. I might put another cable in now that I have access.

Thanks for the replies. I might put another cable in now that I have access.

That is sensible but remember that the installation of a new circuit is notifiable, so you'll have to contact the local authority and pay their fee before starting work.

Your new circuit may need to be RCD protected, depending on the wiring method and you'll need an isolation switch within 2 metres of the hob location.

I'd use a registered electrician. Find a local one here
http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk/

Our current cooker is on a 32A RCD.
To replace it with a oven and induction hob with 3.6KW and 7.2KW max output do we realistically need a second circiut on another 32A RCD?
Could they both be supplied from a split connector off one fuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back