Wiring for two ovens and induction hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After much deliberation we are having two single ovens in our kitchen with an induction hob above.

I am looking for advice on wiring.

Both cable runs go through an open void under the house so not insulated etc. The runs for both cookers and hob is about 9 meters.

The oven manufactor says min 16A for each oven and the hob 63A (five ring induction so takes alot of power)

My question what size cables are required?

I only have two spare spaces on my fuseboard so was thinking of running a 6mm cable to run both ovens and 10mm for the cooker.

Is this sufficient?

Sponsored Links
To take 63A you would need 16mm cable but that does seem OTT. I question the size of hob my induction is 2Kw per area raising to 3Kw on boost so total for whole stand alone unit is 32A. Although when separated and extra area is added I would expect it to go a little higher anything more than 3Kw per area would likely cause problems with pans so likely maximum is 15Kw which is full 63A so it is possible. But with many consumer units the largest RBCO one can fit is 40A and largest MCB is 50A and to design a domestic cooker that requires more than many domestic consumer units can supply seems flawed.
Do remember cable size is matched to RBCO/MCB not to cooker.
10mm clipped direct will allow 64A but normally some where on run it will not be clipped direct. Using XLPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene) or LSZH (Low Smoke Zero Halogen) cables the temperature is increased to 90 degs and using 10mm may then comply but the current capacity of the cable is dependent on how it is run and I would consider likely Reference Method B (enclosed in conduit on a wall or in trunking etc.) would fit the described route the best? Batt cables do give tables as do many other manufactures and I would expect that if 90 deg cable is used then 10mm would do the job.

Thanks for you response. Very imformative and i actually understood most of it!

Here is the link for the hob

http://www.dedietrich.co.uk/93cm-induction-hob-with-continuum-zone-p-10001099.html

The manual on page 5 shows the electrical conections required.

It shows the two methods of connecting up. I have bought standard twin and earth 10mm cable but could run a 6mm and 10 mm seperate if i have to. I would like to avoid if possable as i only have two spaces available for the ovens and hob.

Sponsored Links
Have you read the manual????

I cant see anywhere it says it need 63A.

Plus you can also take a little diversity into account.

Dont forget that this work will need an EIC for the new circuits and notified to your LABC.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back