Induction HOB power cable - insufficient capacity

I don't know if this is for cable flexibility or to allow more connections in europe.

In some countries in mainland Europe it is not uncommon to have 2 or 3 phase supplies available for domestic users. The elements in ovens are 230 volt with some elements on one phase and Neutral and other elements on the other phase and Neutral.

Sponsored Links
I think it more likely that when more than 16A is required, it would just be connected to two (or three) circuits.

upload_2019-6-11_18-55-12.png

For some reason Whirlpool fit a 5 core cable for UK appliances when a 3 core ( of larger cross section ) would suffice.

Sponsored Links
I think it more likely that when more than 16A is required, it would just be connected to two (or three) circuits.

No, it's normally shared over two phases. Where single phase is only available, the two conductors are linked. The two sides of the hob are usually electrically separated up to the connection point.

Thought I'd update this thread, in case it helps anyone. I raised the issue with the electrician's regulatory organisation, the reply was:

The code 2 given by the inspector is understandable as in BS 7671 ( electrical regulations )the maximum rating for that size of cable even at maximum temperature rating would be 21 Amps and the max connected load of the hob is 7.2 kW ( 31.3 Amps)

So, on that basis the cable could be overloaded and be a potential fire risk. However, the manufacturer is responsible for the design and all related calculations and if they supply the hob with this flex attached they take full responsibility, and this could be considered acceptable. To clarify the situation and clear the applied code 2 we would suggest contacting the manufacturer and get confirmation in writing that this flex is an adequate size for the 7.2 kW load

I was replied to very quickly, and as can be seen thoroughly - very impressive.

Whatever the technical details, this:

However, the manufacturer is responsible for the design and all related calculations and if they supply the hob with this flex attached they take full responsibility

was sufficient to get the C2 removed, and is what actually resolved the issue.

Whirlpool did reply, not quite so quickly or thoroughly, with the following:

Our Technical team have advised, the cable is 5 x 1.5mm with Live and Neutral joined making 3mm for L & N

The fuse protects the cable ''in the wall''

I hope that the above information has clarified the situation

Thought I'd update this thread, in case it helps anyone. I raised the issue with the electrician's regulatory organisation, the reply was:
..... The code 2 given by the inspector is understandable as in BS 7671 ( electrical regulations )the maximum rating for that size of cable even at maximum temperature rating would be 21 Amps and the max connected load of the hob is 7.2 kW ( 31.3 Amps)
They don't appear to have heard of diversity. In any event ....
Whatever the technical details, this: .... However, the manufacturer is responsible for the design and all related calculations and if they supply the hob with this flex attached they take full responsibility ... was sufficient to get the C2 removed, and is what actually resolved the issue.
Well, at least a 'result'. Well done!
Whirlpool did reply, not quite so quickly or thoroughly, with the following:
Our Technical team have advised, the cable is 5 x 1.5mm with Live and Neutral joined making 3mm for L & N
I would have thought that that was far more to the point.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back