Induction hob question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to get new worktops and whilst it was getting done, thought I'd like to change the gas hob to an induction hob.

I know that induction needs an airflow but not sure how much - it's a 600mm cupboard under where the hob will go. It also has aluminum/alloy type internal drawers - will they affect the hob? Is siting it over a cupboard OK? Will there be enough air flow?

Also, can anyone recommend the best hob to go for?

Sponsored Links
Different manufacturers may give different ventilation spec, but generally an air space of 50mm would be required benneth the hob, as you do not have a oven beneath the hob, this is beneficial as you will not have added heat build up and dissipation should be good.
with regards to models, Neff have quite a good rep.
Just to add as you had a gas hob and now installing an electric one, you may need to look into the circuit you are going to supply the hob from, as a gas appliance is okay via a 13A plug or connection unit. An electric hob will require a dedicated circuit that will require between 20A-32A.

So a cupboard is adequate? I had visions of having to have the door open or something (don't laugh).

The guy that's doing the work did say he'd need to put in a dedicated power supply for it so he'll be getting sent under the floor :)

Under worktop cupboard in terms of heat dissipation is better than an oven being beneath the hob, as mentioned the manufacturers of each hob may vary slightly, but normally I would expect a minimum of 50mm gap at the underside of the hob. Some manufacturers recommend front and side ventilation under the worktop, so chose you appliance carefully or be prepared to offer this ventilation.
Make sure the electrician installing the cable, fills in the required installation forms and if any building warranties are required also proceeds with that correctly.

Sponsored Links
Just to add as you had a gas hob and now installing an electric one, you may need to look into the circuit you are going to supply the hob from, as a gas appliance is okay via a 13A plug or connection unit. An electric hob will require a dedicated circuit that will require between 20A-32A.

I would have agreed with you, but last week I installed a Bosch induction hob (4 hobs), and it came with a 13amp plug!

I was just looking at Neff there just now and the comments on one of them are that it came with a 13amp plug too. Sounds very handy.

There's a Siemen's hob that's the same price as the Neff I was looking at. Only a couple of differences - the controls mainly and the Siemen's is framed whilst the Neff is frameless.

So, it's between these two. I've no experience of Siemen's though - better, worse or just the same as Neff?

Siemens, Neff & Bosch are one of the same. Buy whichever you like the look of, they come from the same factories, and in some cases just have the brand sticker applied at the end.

I thought they were one in the same but wasn't sure. The Siemen's has individual controls for each zone as opposed to the Neff where you need to select the zone then the temp - I think individual controls might be an easier transition from gas.

I saw them at a good price on John Lewis's website. I guess the only downside is that they appear to be old models but I don't mind that (unless there are associated problems with an obsolete model :confused: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back