Inexpensive CD-R's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SVP.co.uk is a site that sells computer products. I see that they are selling audio CD-R's for use in a HI Fi system for 42p ea (in a jewel case)

They also sell tub's of CD-R's (100 a tub) for between say £9 and £15 which is good value. However has anyone experience of using this type of "cheap" disc in a HI Fi system.

By the way I have only used the SVP site as an example.

The reason for the question is that I am about to start copying all my LP's onto CD's and I have a lot of them so a "cheap" but a reliable disc would be good on the pocket as I may make backup discs as well.

Sponsored Links
I get my CD-Rs at Novatech or Tesco, I reckon less than 10p each, bought in bulk.

Never had a problem with them, music or data,

I heard DC-RWs can "fade" and I've had probs with incompatability on RWs (I recorded some with Roxio and now cann't read them with my new system).

Your DVD payer will probably read more formats than your CD player.

Thanks John -Interesting re you comment about Roxio. I cnverted my digital camcorder data to DVD using Roxio. When I tried to read the raw digital data using Studio 9, no joy.

if I recall correctly, roxio uses its own UDF format which may be the reasons behind the 2 issues mentioned above.
As for cheap CD's personally I usually pay that few pence more and get something decent, brands that I know and trust are (in no order) ridisk,verbatim,traxdata,samsung,and others. I have also used unbranded with mixed results (I'm not into selling dodgy cd's by the way, I own a small IT firm and use them for various things).
CDRW's IMO have limited use, and the price of a blank cd nowadays is neglegable so I'd rather use several cdr's than a single cdrw, one reason - a lot of pc's cant boot from a cdrw, another reason - write speed on a cdrw is slower, another reason - not a lot of audio cd players can read cdrw (a lot of DVD players can). The same applies (IMO) to DVDRW and DVD's as well.

Sponsored Links
i use svp and have no problems with the Datawrite Printable (52x) 80 Minute CDR (code 1065) at 10.99 per 100.

go for printable even if you use labels as they stop the glue from destroying data.

for dvd's use Ritek Inkjet Printable (8x) DVD-R (code 3192) 9.99 for 50 use roxio or nero and they play in neally all players including ps2.

but a reliable disc would be good on the pocket

Try These:

datawrite or Mr.Data

Back