CD RW and DVD RW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to copy and backup a load of my digital photos. I purchased a load of DVD-RW+ discs but the computer doesn't want to copy onto them. Why is this. It seems to work when I copy them on CD RW.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Not enough info on your system components James e.g. DVD writer make and model number.

Are you sure you have a DVD burner capable of burning DVD RW+ disks :D

The computers a Medion, which was bought from Aldi 4 to 5 years ago. The two cd trays I have are worded DVD RW the other DVD Rom. When I go into my pictures and high light them and it asks me where do I want to send them I direct them to the DVD RW tray. The copy wizard software which I think is the computer own, copies the files and then confirms which drive I want to send them to,. Again I state the DVD RW dive. The software comes back with the ststement that the discs isn't the right type.

I do have a Nero stotware on my computer if this helps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Still not enough info on either DVD or software. Can you check information in Device Manager? Assuming Windows XP:
Click on "Start"
Right click on "My Computer"
Select "Properties"
Select Hardware tab then "Device Manager"
Click on the "+" next to DVD/CD ROM Drives
What information does it give you about your DVD.

1. Have you tried with Nero, if so what was the result?
2. Have you tried with any other DVD type such as plain old DVD-R?
3. Have you tried just dragging and dropping your files onto DVD icon?

Without more info. only guessing but:
My "gut" feeling on this is that you may be using the wrong type of DVD for your system. There is a choice of DVD formats using either (a)DVD-R / DVD-RW or (b)DVD+R /DVD +RW, your DVD may only take one type i.e. either the "-" or "+" type. Hence my question if you have tried other blank DVD's

EDIT: If you have Nero installed you should find Nero Info Tool in your program files. This tool will examine your system and report quite a lot of useful info including drive capabilities. If you do not have this then it can be downloaded Click Here. Meant to post this with orig reply

Tony

I followed your instructions re "my computer". My device manager tells me it's a Pioneer DVD RW DVR-107D.

I haven't tried the one to three yet, but any documentation which came with the computer doesn't seem to state if it takes DVD + or -.

Thanks

James

I followed your instructions re "my computer". My device manager tells me it's a Pioneer DVD RW DVR-107D.
If you do not have the manual it can be found HERE on the Pioneer website

I haven't tried the one to three yet, but any documentation which came with the computer doesn't seem to state if it takes DVD + or -.
Looks like my "gut" feeling about wrong type of DVD was way off the mark :oops: If I have the correct model the manual suggests that it will support the following DVD types:
DVD-R 1X, 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X
DVD-RW 1X, 2X, 4X
DVD+R 2.4X, 4X, 6X, 8X
DVD+RW 2.4X, 4X
CD-R 4X, 8X, 16X, 24X
CD-RW 4X, 10X, 16X, 24X

As to points not tried 1-3
First I would suggest that you try again with Nero. Before you start check your DVD with the Nero Info tool. Go through the various tabs with this tool and record information given for future ref.

If you have any other blank DVD media it may be worth giving it a try - there is a remote possibility that your drive does not recognise the particular media you have

Back