Windows Media Player

So all checks running ok in reading drive information etc.

If I understand correctly you have not been able to add the drive to your send to menu by following the MS instructions I posted.

Next thing is to check IMAPI this is a windows service which -quote " Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

By default it is normally enabled.

To check goto Start / Control Panel/administrative tools/Services

Scroll to IMAPI CD Burning

Double click should be either Manual or Auto.

Apart from the Sendto menu have you tried clicking and dragging a file to your DVD drive icon? What happens when you try?

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony.

Yeah, the IMAPI is set to startup type: Manual.

When dragging a file to the DVD icon in My Computer, I get the message:

"D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."

EDIT: I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I looked at drive D's icon in My Computer. It was listed as "CD Drive (D: )", with a CD-R disc icon next to it.

To see if it was working, I highlighted the icon, right-clicked and chose the eject command. The drive ejected and the description changed to "DVD-RAM Drive (D: )". The icon also changed to a drive unit with a disc above it.

Is this important?

Yeah, the IMAPI is set to startup type: Manual.
For now leave as is.

Just looking back over previous posts.
Sony recommend that you download and install ASPI for your drive.
Did you click on the Sony site http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/259#technical as in previous post?
Click on ASPI check and follow instructions to download to your PC and install.

Have you un installed Nero?
The reason I suggested using Nero was that it uses its own ASPI layer (which for some reason you did not see on your system

EDIT: I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I looked at drive D's icon in My Computer. It was listed as "CD Drive (D: )", with a CD-R disc icon next to it.

To see if it was working, I highlighted the icon, right-clicked and chose the eject command. The drive ejected and the description changed to "DVD-RAM Drive (D: )". The icon also changed to a drive unit with a disc above it.

Is this important?
Yes it means that Windows is correctly identifying the drive

Are you sure that you are using a good quality writeable CD when testing? One that has not been used i.e. fresh from the box. Do NOT try with DVD (Windows XP is unable to write to DVD without additional software

In my opinion it is important to follow the manufacturers instructions properly (at least in the initial setting up). So far the cable has been exchanged for the rec. 80 conductor ATA66 type. Next is the issue of getting ASPI correctly installed

EDIT: Is there any chance that this PC has had a CD burner and software such as Roxio or Nero installed in the past?
Have you had Norton systems installed?
What Anti virus and Firewall in use?

Cannot remember what I have done regarding ASPI. Will check.

I will uninstall Nero.

Have tried using both Imation CD-R's (700 Meg/ 48x) & Packard Bell CD-RW's (also 700 Meg & 12x speed).

I don't think this PC has had burning hardware or software installed in the past. Mrs Secure bought the system from her previous employer. When she got it, the HDD had been cleaned & passwords wiped off & the OS re-installed.

As for Norton, it may have once had it on, I cannot be sure.

Now, it has AVG Free V 8.0 & is running the firewall software supplied with XP.

EDIT: Have updated ASPI & uninstalled Nero, restarting the PC afterwards.

No change...

Sponsored Links
Have tried using both Imation CD-R's (700 Meg/ 48x) & Packard Bell CD-RW's (also 700 Meg & 12x speed).
Both should be good quality
I don't think this PC has had burning hardware or software installed in the past. Mrs Secure bought the system from her previous employer. When she got it, the HDD had been cleaned & passwords wiped off & the OS re-installed.
If HD has been cleared and new install of OS then this should be ok. Were you supplied with Windows CD or instructions on how to recover windows?

Now, it has AVG Free V 8.0 & is running the firewall software supplied with XP.
It is possible that AVG may be stopping correct operation of DVD. I would be tempted to disable it completely or preferably uninstall then reboot - just to eliminate this as possible cause
I have made the assumption that the DVD is not faulty - in the past you have managed to install programs and run/play CD's.

After this the only thing left to do is recheck your DVD settings.

1. The Device is recognised in Device manager without any issues

2. You can play CD's and install programs from CD

3. Check ASPI installed correctly
Have you run the aspichk utility to make sure installed?
When you install ASPI a folder is created usually in C drive e.g. C:\adaptec\aspi.
In that folder there is a file called aspichk.exe. When you run it you will get a dialogue box showning ASPi drivers installed on your system. If you do not have this it can be downloaded from http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspichk.exe
Should look like this:
aspi.gif

4. Check DVD is enabled for recording
Goto Start / My Computer
Right click on DVD drive and select Properties
Select Recording tab and make sure "Enable CD recording on this drive" is ticked.Select the drive where windows stores image (probably your C drive).

If you do not get a result after checking the above you could try changing the DVD jumper back to Master (it should not really matter but worth a try).
Also might be worth setting IMAPI to Automatic rather than manual.

Ok. Have run aspicheck: version numbers are slightly different, but the bottom line is the same:

ASPI is properly installed and fully operational.

Hit a huge problem with your point 4....

There is no "recording" tab!!

Does this mean the system does not after all recognise the drive as a RW unit, but read only?

Ok. Have run aspicheck: version numbers are slightly different, but the bottom line is the same:

ASPI is properly installed and fully operational.
Great

Hit a huge problem with your point 4....
There is no "recording" tab!!
B****r

Does this mean the system does not after all recognise the drive as a RW unit, but read only?
Yes :evil:

Starting with the easy options first:

While it may not be necessary I think you should run Nero clean tools to make sure complete removal. You can download here (check your version) http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-cleantools.html.

Next goto Device Manager and uninstall your DVD drive. Then reboot and let Windows find drive and load required software for your DVD.

Try your DVD again :rolleyes:

If that does not work things get a little trickier, i.e. you may need to mess with the registry. As long as you follow the instructions carefully and back up the registry as stated you should be safe
Have a look at these articles
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx

EDIT; Do you have the original Windows XP CD - just in case you need to reinstall or run a system file check?

Ran Clean Tools.

Uninstalled DVD RW.

Rebooted.

Hey Presto!!

It now burns!!!

Yipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thanks Tony for all your fantastic hard work on this problemo....

On the downside, the BIOS clocking fault has reappeared on the third PC.... :cry: :cry:

I'll pick it to bits again & recheck those cards. Seems a bit fragile, though... :confused:

It now burns!!!

Yipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thanks Tony for all your fantastic hard work on this problemo....
phew.gif
.....Your welcome :D

On the downside, the BIOS clocking fault has reappeared on the third PC.... :cry: :cry:

I'll pick it to bits again & recheck those cards. Seems a bit fragile, though... :confused:
As you say does seem fragile. When you get into BIOS double check CPU and memory settings, you might need to set in jumper free mode to get full access
EDIT: Just have to get the codecs now for DVD ripping and burning :LOL:
BTW Are you dragging files to WMP or have you reinstalled Nero

I'm using WMP at the mo. Don't want to rock the boat by re-installing Nero.... :eek:

BTW, I got the other PC going again & checked the BIOS, it's settings are fine, so I'll have to keep my eye on that one.

Thanks again - I owe you one, if not several!

Sponsored Links
Back