Can't play cd's or rip in windows media player

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the life of me I have tried Googling all kinds of solutions with no resolve. I am running Windows 7 home premium and suddenly I cannot play cds from clicking the disk icon in "computer" unless I right click and select "open" with windows media. Even when I set it to be the default player, it never remembers and always defaults back. When I open WMP and try and rip my cds (I could do this as of last week) it says "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted." I then go to "options" and "Rip Music" to change the location of where the ripped cd will go but it is blank and pressing the change button is unresponsive. So basically I can't rip my cds.

Sponsored Links
Looks that way dunt it. If it's not about Brexit or some other controversial s***e no-one is interested these days on most forums.

Looks like your CD/DVD player has gone south. Cheap as chips on Ebay for a replacement internal one or a USB external player.

The cd player works for other software so not a hardware issue I think.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried removing and reinstalling? Can't remember exactly how in win 7 but it comes under windows features.

head into control panel, select device manager, look for disk drives then right click your cd drive and select uninstall. Then google for ccleaner and download and run it (registry cleaner) then reboot. should put everything back to how it was.

Back