Infill Extension _ Length Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

First post from me buy a very avid reader!

We are wanting to build an infill extension to our Victorian terraced house, it's a typical L-shaped terrace and we wish it to be 'square'

This will effectively double our kitchen/diner space and also get us a much needed new kitchen into the mix!

I've attached a sketched on drawing from our permission documents that we've submitted. We've been a way through the process already and not gotten the results we wished for hence me posting here

Essentially, the extension will be 9M long x 3M wide, building right upto the neighbouring boundary. The neighbours don't have a problem with this as 1. they sit around 1M higher than us as the properties run down a hill and 2. they'd also like an infill extension of the same size to make the most of what is essentially wasted space

The gardens face North so don't benefit from any direct sunlight so building here wouldn't impact on the neighbours 'right to a view' as they currently look out onto the wall of our house!

The council had rejected out initial plans for this full infill but have granted us a 6M x 3M extension stating that a 9M wall would intrude onto the neighbours view

NOW

I've been and spoken to the planning officer and understand that a 9M wall is quite a thing and that the current neighbours may be okay with this but future thinking that the next people may not be so happy having this wall so close etc etc

Any veteran/professional thoughts? do I go through the appeal process and potentially waste 6 months or should I be happy that I've bene granted permission for a 6M extension?

We just feel that building 6M will be almost as expensive as 9M and we'll be left with an awkward 3M space which will not really be of any use

Your thoughts an opinions will be greatly received!

Attachments

• IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 263
Sponsored Links
Do you need access from the front rooms through the existing double doors?

If not, then I think this could be done as PD (as it could be done as a side extension)

You could apply for/build an 8m extension with (say) a 1m central 'courtyard'. I suspect that you could subsequently get permission to add a roof over this bit too.

Depends on when you want to start, I would appeal if you've got the time (with a good supporting statement) and there's no fee.

Worse case scenario it's refused, just resubmit your original application for free with the 6m extension, or carry out some PD works.

Sponsored Links
Browse the makeover sites or magazines, or the likes of Pinterest, and you will see lots of infill extensions just like the one you want.

I'd you feel that the council was wrong in their decision making, and the local planning policy allows such an extension (ie the decision was purely subjective), then an appeal is worth while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back