Infill Glass for Balustrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to find a supplier that can offer infill glass for stair/balcony balustrade.

Now there are many I can see online, but they are all expensive. What I am looking for is a supplier that takes recycled safety glass from like shop refits and sell them on cheaper than buying brand new.

It a cost thing, looking for somewhere where I can save money for a large custom built balustrade that would cost over a £1000 to fit out with new glass.

Sponsored Links
When I've been on refits the glass has tended to end up being taken out in one piece on safety grounds, then dumped in a glass skip for recycling unless it is being reused elsewhere in the same shop. The people who want us to recycle stuff don't seem to be aware that it simply takes too much time and effort to store materials for recycling which may never be reused, or which may have to be stored for years before someone shows up with an interest. You might be better off talking to a local architectural glass merchant (i.e. somebody with a few large vehicles) who might be able to let you know if/when they are doing a rip-out/replacement but be prepared to turn up the minute the stuff comes out - there's often nowhere to store stuff on a refurb - and glass is dangerous stuff so site managers tend to want it out of the way - fast!

I am looking to find a supplier that can offer infill glass for stair/balcony balustrade.

Now there are many I can see online, but they are all expensive. What I am looking for is a supplier that takes recycled safety glass from like shop refits and sell them on cheaper than buying brand new.

It a cost thing, looking for somewhere where I can save money for a large custom built balustrade that would cost over a £1000 to fit out with new glass.

Typically the glass used in such installs is toughened and as such cannot be recycled in terms of cutting to the new size requirement, once the glass is toughened it can't be cut or have any other work done to it.......it will just shatter.

Toughened glass starts out in life as plain old boring float glass, it is at this stage it is cut to its size and shape, when holes if any are drilled, edges bevelled and polished, once all this is done its put through its heat treament process, once out the other end of the kiln assuming it didn't shatter somewhere in the middle you now have a bit of toughened glass, you can do no more to it at this point, this is how it stays until its recycled i.e. gets taken out during a refurb, gets chucked into a 'clean glass' (cullet) skip, it is then taken away to be melted into molten glass again and then floated into float glass and here it all starts again

Unless your taking the complete staircase then the glass ain't gonna fit and you can't make it fit i'm afraid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back