Info Req. Re: optical units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know where i would find info/instructions on how an optical unit is changed in a CD player.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Bright_Spark said:
does anyone know where i would find info/instructions on how an optical unit is changed in a CD player.

many thanks

Do you mean the whole mechanism or just the lazer reader head ?

Unless the manufacturers supply them as "user changable parts" and they are designed to be changed anywhere other than in a fully equiped workshop I would say don't even think about it.

Biggest pitfall is the drive board may have to be "educated" about the precise alignment of the new lazer head and that is difficult. Often requires a special CD to set up the driver board electronics.

It really is cheaper to buy a new player.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

not really answered my question there bernard.

im in a work shop, its fully equiped and we deal with sound equipment on a regular basis and its a repair that a qualified engineer is considering taking on himself instead of using an external engineer. depending on the value of the CD player...eg if its denon...then its worth doing. i personally know the difficulties surrounding it...but thats not my problem...im just trying to find the info on how its done....can you point me in the right direction please?

cheers

When I am "forced" into such a repair it is normally a slog round Google and Altavista to locate an informed source.

The manufacturers of better equipment may provide the information to you if they see you as a suitably equiped set up.

I wish you luck.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Sponsored Links
It would depend on the unit you were working on, so a service manual is always a good start. Mauritron is a good source.

IME its usually pretty easy to change, and a lot are the same, but not always, your techys should be able to whip the top off, take a look and then decide if its going to be straight forward or not so, and if its a standard or proprietry unit. If they cant do that I'd be suprised and also lacking in confidence..
That said, a service manual can often help - thats what they are for! sometimes a simple job can take hours when you "work it out as you go along" whilst if you had the manual it would take much less time.

Back