Inhibitor: causes more problems than it fixes???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had some mod's to some heating cisuits done. The fitter filled the system and didn't use inhibitor. When I asked him why not he told me he doesn't use it as it causes more problems than it fixes.

Is this correct?

MC

Sponsored Links
my gut instinct is that he didn't want to pay for it out of the fixed price, but I would appreciate if anyone can confirm eitaher way.

He's speaking rubbish....

Although perhaps he was referring to problems regarding the security of his future income given that the lack of inhibitor will inevitably lead to you calling him back out earlier than otherwise (corrosion in the system can lead to failures of all aspects of it - radiators, pump, valves and the boiler).

£12 on a bottle of Sentinel X100 will be a worthwhile investment. It won't wind the clock back on any existing corrosion but will mitigate future risk.

Mathew

Sponsored Links
I recently had some mod's to some heating cisuits done. The fitter filled the system and didn't use inhibitor. When I asked him why not he told me he doesn't use it as it causes more problems than it fixes.

Is this correct?

MC
Certainly not; the man clearly was a cowboy.

Depends on a lot of things.

I worked in a hard water area where the water came from one or two wells and I found no corrosion in heating systems with no inhibitor and monitored over many years.

In Manchester which I would imagine is soft water I'd use it and actually in my area now I'd use it as there is more of a grid system for water where the mineral content can be changed as the source can change.

The chemicals are more refined and researched now and more than anything, high head high flow rates increase the possibility of oxygen ingress so I'd use it. With a high water content boiler with well positioned CF and EXP and a slow moving circulation I'd think it less necessary.

Like the man said, £12!! that's not a lot. Biggest problem I find is getting the customer to realise it doesn't last forever and getting them to top up.

mines got none in!!!!
when i got the house 12 years ago i changed a few rads & consequently flushed the system (combi) quite a few times, not since though BUT i am in the process of altering again so will add some this time

mines got none in!!!!
when i got the house 12 years ago i changed a few rads & consequently flushed the system (combi) quite a few times, not since though BUT i am in the process of altering again so will add some this time

You'd only get corrosion problems if there's oxygen getting into the water (open vented systems, leaks, pumping over) OR if there is electrolytic corrosion that is making oxygen from the water and filling the rads with hydrogen.

You'd get the latter if the water is acidic; the usual cause of the water being acidic is residues of active soldering flux that haven't been flushed out or neutralized.

Active flux is fairly recent (25ish years?), prior to that systems often didn't use corrosion inhibitors.

Vaillant's French language boiler manuals say not to put inhibitor in the system. This is for the same boilers that are sold in the UK.

Attention ! Ne mettez surtout pas de produit antigel (ou d'autres additifs (produit d'étanchéité liquide, produit anticorrosion etc.)) dans l'eau de chauffage ! Sinon, vous risquez d'endommager les joints et les membranes, mais aussi de provoquer des bruits en mode de chauffage. Vaillant décline toute responsabilité pour ces phénomènes et pour les dommages qui pourraient en résulter.

I don't know what other manufacturers recommend, I don't often try to read French manuals.

French plumbers usually braze joints, ISTR, rather than soft solder them, which may account for the difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back