Inline Fan leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any issues with an inline fan leaking? I have a National Ventilation Monsoon UMD100T in my loft on a plinth. I was in the loft yesterday and noticed a pool of water beside it. The ducting connections to the fan are secure so I thought maybe there was water sitting in it. I opened it up and there was a small amount at the bottom but nothing to write home about so I screwed it back together and noticed slight drips at the 2 joins of the body casing. Not sure how long it has been going on for (i usually check it every few months). I switched the fan on & there was slow continous drips. The fan's only a year old. Just a short run of ducting at either end (insulated flexi ducting from the shower room to fan & flexi ducting out to the soffit on a slight sloping angle). I got in touch with an electrician and he said it sounds like it's not strong enough to push the water through and suggested replacing with a stronger fan that he uses (Airvent 100mm mixed flow inline fan) so he's coming out next week. It's the 1st inline fan I've had but quite surprised it's not lasted

Sponsored Links
No fault with fan just not installed with enough fall to prevent condensation run back.Run on timer needs at least 15mins?, this helps reduce condensation as more damp air is shifted after shower/bath use.
Insulating all the ducting also helps.

Last edited:
Yes the timer runs for an extra 15 mins after shower. Insulated ducting goes to the fan and I've covered the flexi ducting with loft insulation until it slopes to soffit but it's just a very short run. The fan sits horizontal on the plinth. Are you saying it should be at angle? Just a bit concerned that I get a new one installed and same happens

This is the existing set up. Not sure if the insulated ducting should be shorter/more direct to the fan? Note the flexi duct snakes off to a grille in soffit on the right hand side - not sure if it would be better to put another grille in to the left so it just slopes directly down from the fan?

Attachments

• 20240112_085658.jpg
    20240112_085658.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240112_090200.jpg
    20240112_090200.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
I would put a thin layer of loft insulation over the ducting - and see how it goes. Changing the fan isn't likely to improve matters

Sorry, should have said the flexi hose usually does have the rock wool over it (as in 1st photo) - I just pulled it back for the photo. Not sure what to do now as don't want to use the fan with it leaking.

So put some insulation over the first part of the ducting - it may say its insulating - but in my experience in winter its not enough

AND increase the time the fan runs for

Out of interest do you open the bathroom window too ?

Fan currently runs an extra 16 mins - what would you recommend?
Bathroom window is always open for showers as it's a small room and steams up quickly.
Can you explain in technical terms what you thinks happening re the condensation so I can understand it better? Thanks

20 minutes or more

So you are allowing cool air to enter a steamy room, which will only make matters worse.

Shut the window and door and see how much airflow you can feel coming under the door from the inside of the room

Oh I thought I was doing a good thing having the window open to prevent mould etc

Actually tempted to go back to an Axial fan - the silent tornado seems to get good reviews

Oh I thought I was doing a good thing having the window open to prevent mould etc

er no.

for your extractor fan to work at its best you need sufficient airflow under the door so dry air is drawn in to the bathroom from the house

Before you change the fan try :

More insulation over the vent pipes
keeping the window closed
allowing the fan to run longer

And how is the bathroom heated?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back