Inline Mains booster pumps (combi system)

Good odds the kitchen tap is fed with skinny flexis and possibly a restrictor nozzle type thing. The boiler may have a restrictor in it (some brands I understand have a max flow rate of x but by default are derated either in software or hardware to x - 20% or so). The pressure/flow difference between bath tap and the rest of the house may just be down to a straight pipe run to the bath Vs a pile of elbows in the runs to everywhere else.
Bonus if you've got access where the MDPE comes in- yes my thought was to run a temp supply to the cold feed of the boiler- ideal if you can tee in just above the mdpe- and see if better mains supply gives you better dhw output.

Sponsored Links
The kitchen tap doesn't have flexi pipes.. Its just 15mm copper up to the connection of the tap. It does have a aerator / restrictor in the nozzle - I tried removing that and it gives exact same flow. My boiler does have a flow restrictor in - which is 11 litres / min I'm told.
There's no where to tap off the blue pipe.. Its straight in - and into my meter the outlet of the meter is directly into an elbow and into the wall

Ahh boo, oh well. Are there isolator valves in any of the runs to the taps- the cheap ones are very small bore. How's access to the cold feed to the bath?

There are isolator valves to the kitchen sink taps but there was none to my 3 basins - at which I have just added isolators and check valves to the hot (as I thought my mixer taps were passing)
Access to the bath cold is a no go. They come up through a drilled hole in the tongue and groove flooring. I'd have to cut away the flooring.
I have British gas coming back out in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they will change my plate heat exchanger - and I get back to 9litres a min. I'll report back.
As for the booster pump. I'm worried now - that if I do have a flow restrictor / pressure reducer hidden somewhere... Then the pump will do nothing as it will be pumping up to that

Sponsored Links
I have a greenstar 30si.... Think max flow is 12litres a min

If I remember rightly this boiler is flow limited (not sure what to, would need to check) though it is rated @ 14.3L/Min @ 30Deg rise though that would need a min dynamic pressure to attain that, to overcome the resistance in the plate, it's usually around 2bar.

You are right, 2 bar minimum to achieve max flow rate.
Max flow is 10.8 +/- 15% - so @ 2bar I should get 9litres a min. Which is what is on my commissioning paperwork for the house. (2 bar/9litres a min 50degree rise taken as 7degree cold water inlet temp - 57 at all outlets )
I have 2 bar still and 9 litres from my cold tap - but 6litres/min hot.
This surely enough to make the boiler cycle on and off whilst I'm showering (observed the boiler flame out and back on... Repeatedly)
So this would point at a furred up hex?
I know I'm on the minimum - but everything always worked at the minimum, so I guess when you work at the minimum pressure you have a lot smaller operating window for my size boiler to keep running with flame rather than cycle.
Screenshot_20220308_150025_com.dropbox.android.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back