Inline scale inhibitor for domestic cold water supply, which

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in Leicestershire in a very hard water area. All the taps, shower heads, shower screen, Toilet pans, kettle etc etc are showing signs of deposit build up after only a few years in new build house.

What can I do to reduce, or stop, this? And moving house is not the answer I'm looking for :D

I'd like a fit and forget solution, are there any recommendations?

Inline filter ..... if so, where do I fit it, what brands are known to be good?

Some electrical device with a coil around the water main as it come in to the house?

Advice greatly approcaited.

Sponsored Links
Just to add, I do not have a combi boiler, as I understand some of the manufacturers do not recommend certain types of water treatment.

I do have a Saunier Duval System boiler that is sealed, but, obviously does fill from the cold water feed to the house. The CH system has Sentinal X100 in it.

Sponsored Links
There is no fit and forget solution to hard water.

You need eiter a salt softener or a poly phosphate based device. Both need regular top ups.

You edited your post to add the bit about the electric gadget with the coil round the pipes AFTER I warned against using them. The reason being they are no good, and as Dan has pointed out, if you want a fit and forget solution, you may as well forget it.

All the taps, shower heads, shower screen, Toilet pans, kettle etc etc are showing signs of deposit build up after only a few years in new build house.
Years? Limescale appears in days for those in hard water areas.
If it's taken years, either your water is soft, or someone has been cleaning the scale away without your knowledge, or the water supplied to your property isn't coming from the same source any more.

As for options to prevent, the ones that work are:
Filters - only suitable for 1 outlet, they will reduce the flow significantly, and they require new cartridges every month or so.
Combimate as mentioned above - but significant initial cost, will require refilling with chemicals, also puts those same chemicals into the water which although totally safe, may not be what you want.
Water softener - requires filling with substantial amounts of salt rather often, costs £100s to buy and the same to install. Also wastes water when it regenerates which will be significant if you have a water meter.

Other items which are totally useless include:
Magnet things - snake oil, total waste of money, will do nothing.
Coiled Wire around pipes with a magic box attached - snake oil, will just waste a tiny amount of electricity so that a small light can be kept illuminated.

Just heard mine kick in for a recharge. 25kG over 2 months is average for us at 550 average litre-age per day. Think our hardness is set to 180ppm.

Frankly I secretly lower it a little each week until the missus complains. :evil:

can't you feel the difference when you shave?

I have the skin of a plumber.... My Gillette Mach summut or other is on its original batteries (bought it when it first came out).

Nagging wife is far more accurate than you can imagine (comes from a nation of volcanic water).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back