Inline water filter any use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a Pur..... something... water filter in the 15mm mains feed to our mixer tap in the kitchen.
Can only see part of one end at the moment, hence the Pur....

At least ten years old, could be a lot more. It's completely inaccessible behind a cupbd so there was no thought of changing the cartridge, if indeed it has one.

The water goes through an undersink heater, but our water is quite soft... no scale anywhere in the house and there's no filter on the feed to the attic tank. So, the filter in the kitchen... is doing... what?

I ask because I'm going to repipe the feed to the tap and it would be easier if I can just delete the filter.
On the other hand, it's a ceramic (Bristan) tap and I already had to replace one valve after two years, so if the filter might protect the valve then I could fit another elsewhere.

What do we think of these things?
Are they the furry dice of plumbing?
Do you have one?

Sponsored Links
It's most unlikely that your so-called filter is doing anything useful, assuming you're on mains water.

Furry dice is apt.

Yes, delete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back