Innards for a Cast Iron Toilet Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cast iron high level cistern which is a nightmare to flush. I don't want to get rid of it - I just want to modernise the innards. Is this do-able? The system of flushing at present is by means of a bell shaped piece of metal which when lifted (by pulling in the chain) sucks water up from the cistern and lets it down the pipe to the pan.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You would probably be best searching at an architectural salvage yard either local or via the web. SALVO is a good starting point but you may have to buy the whole toilet just to get the guts out of the cistern of a working model but good luck anyway.

Right up my street :LOL: I`ve been looking round for an old bog for my retro house - Firstly - you say it doesn`t flush very well :confused: or do you mean it makes a loud clank when you drop the bell - your water level isn`t high enough probably - or your technique is wrong or both- you should pull the chain gently as far as it will let the bell rise - then let it go. simples ;) You can probably modernise the innards with a flap valve - but try what I`ve suggested first. Actually I could sell you a black hard rubber replacement for the whole cistern :mrgreen: they were made to replace iron ones that cracked from frost damage - just let me know how much a salvage yard wants for one ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back