Inner rooflight glass shattered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The inner pane of a rooflight recently shattered for no apparent reason. There is no damage to the outer glass.

They were manufactured and installed by the same company, 3 years ago. They are refusing to
even speak to me on the phone. This is quite a large panel - around 1.5m square. ANd it's one of three in a row - the other two are intact.

The original glass manufacture mentioned a five-year warranty - but lacks details.

Do I have any rights here? Insurance likely to cover? What causes this?

Grateful for any help. PRetty glad no one was beneath it when it went!

Sponsored Links
If it's toughened glass, it should fall out in little cubes of glass, not great pointed shards. I used to see Velux roof lights that had been taken out after damage, and they plainly had (quite thin) glass that cracked and would be quite dangerous if a bit fell on you. I don't know if they still are.

AFAIK toughened can unexpectedly shatter from a nick or spot load, I think plain glass would more likely just crack.

i'm coming round to Laminated for safety and security purposes now.

Toughened. Small cubes.

Thanks for links. Any comments on the questions?

Do I have any rights here? Insurance likely to cover?

Sponsored Links
er.. i've just looked it up. I don't think it applies. THey weren't bought on a credit card.

I think the problem that you have is that you need to prove that the glass was faulty if you take them to the small claims court. That said, it is worth threatening to take them to court if they do not reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back