Inner skin cavity wall crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20mm non-bulging vertical Crack in inner leaf of cavity wall next to a window (see picture) which splits the concrete block in half

I am thinking the reason is because of the way the block has been mortared (see picture) where it seems there is excessive amount of mortar used

No damage to outer leaf or foundation or on any other wall so even though it is a large crack I don't think there's any structural problems with the building which is around 70 years old (constructed 1960s) and I am thinking it is caused by thermal expansion since the property is large and has been left empty for a number of years.... I would like to rule out structural damage because I don't think its worth digging the foundations...!! as mentioned there is no damage to the external leaf only the inner leaf so if there was movement to the foundations i would expect to see cracks in both leaves. No structural work (conversions,extensions,etc>) has been done to the property since it was originally constructed and these cracks have only appeared in the last few years since the property has been vacant and unheated during the winter.

What would be the cheapest way of repairing this? It could be filled in but would rather fix the underlying issue because if not it will just reoccur in later years

Thanks for your replies

Attachments

• IMG20221230142534.jpg
    IMG20221230142534.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG20221230141705.jpg
    IMG20221230141705.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plaster does sometimes crack for reasons other than structural - what you need to see is the structure beneath. My advice is hack off the plaster to the crack and immediate surround and inspect beneath. It's going to have to come off anyway so you won't be losing much.

Think that has cracked through to cavity.
May need to repair brick joints by filling.
Knock off plaster as above said

Sponsored Links
That's a pretty serious crack! - I would prop the lintel and blocks to the right. Remove bricks below lintel and replace them.

Can you work out which side has moved? Looks like the lintel has dropped but the coving looks OK?

That is no ordinary crack! Def needs investigating....

thinking the reason is because of the way the block has been mortared
That's not the reason. Movement is the reason, sideways movement, and if the wall is cracked the same, the lintel has pulled the window jamb.

Cracked inside and outside is relevant, as is the wall construction, orientation and the outside face. Are the gutters or roof leaking?

Unlikely foundation related.

Bit late but what was the outcome of this? What did you do to remedy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back