Ins. (not)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having been quoted for the coming year's insurance for my 523i I opted to query the premium increase of 40% when the current rate of inflation was running at 8.8% No explanation, just that's the price.

Having already got one old car on a classic policy (with a different insurer) I decided to try them for classic cover on the BM on the grounds that when the renewal was due the car would be 25 years old. They declined to quote & the reasoning was something I'd not come across before.

Apparently it's now no longer just a question of age, rather being based on factory production numbers, survival figures & the perceived desirability of the particular model o_O
Is there no end to this BS ?

nb. eventually I did manage to get a very competitive quote from another mainstream insurer, despite (allegedly) insurance costs having risen by 22% across the board, due to the shortage of component parts :cautious:

Sponsored Links
Apparently it's now no longer just a question of age,
Was it ever just age?

Classic car insurance was intended for old vehicles which were not used daily, only did a very limited milage every year and usually had other requirements such as it was kept in a locked garage when not in use, named driver only, no business use and so on.

Whenever I got insurance for my classics, one requirement was tgat it was a second car and I had to have another vehicle as a daily driver. Don’t know if that still applies.

Whenever I got insurance for my classics, one requirement was tgat it was a second car and I had to have another vehicle as a daily driver. Don’t know if that still applies.
It does.

Sponsored Links
Does it matter if you specify you have the use of another car ?
In my case, I had to have one. Classic car insurance was ridiculously cheap and I suppose it’s because of the low mileage and care that they get from most owners.

Yes it can be good, I insured my 1991 Mx5 for £100, came back down to earth quickly though when the £400 tax was due!

I think I paid around the same for my Cortina Lotus. Fully comp, agreed value, windscreen cover, driving abroad etc. Tax exempt too at the time under the 25 year old rule.

Yes it can be good, I insured my 1991 Mx5 for £100, came back down to earth quickly though when the £400 tax was due!
That's a good price, may I ask what the compulsory excess is?

My CE is £200 & I always go for zero voluntary excess. This year's policy price is £35 more than yours, for an older car, but then I do have a substantial agreed value included.

That's a good price, may I ask what the compulsory excess is?

My CE is £200 & I always go for zero voluntary excess. This year's policy price is £35 more than yours, for an older car, but then I do have a substantial agreed value included.
I'm sorry I don't remember!
I cancelled.it earlier in the year as I sold the car.

Probably too late now, but I'm currently paying £83.68 a year for my 1989 Alfa, fully comp, with business use! That's with Autonet. It's an agreed value policy (£4k) and there's a £400 excess and a 4000 mile a year cap.

Last edited:
Probably too late now, but I'm currently paying £83.68 a year for my 1989 Alfa, fully comp, with business use! That's with Autonet. It's an agreed value policy (£4k) and there's a £400 excess and a 4000 le a year cap.
Finally resorted to the 'Merkat' & obtained a very competitive quote for the BM, cover starting yesterday.
Less than £200 for the year (we only need social-domestic-pleasure) with £200 compulsory excess .. zero voluntary excess.

My classic policy on the Range Rover is due in August, I await the quote with some trepidation :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Back