Ins. (not)

Depends on the insurer, in the case of DL last year's premium for me (@ 77) as policy holder was a fair bit more expensive than my partner.
It could also be that although I'm the legal owner I'm not the reg. keeper.

Generally insurers don't like any answer on the questionnaire they consider even vaguely left-field.
Yeah, my dad is running into that problem now. He was OK until he was 75, but thereafter, it started to get a bit harder to find a good deal. He's 83 now, and despite us both doing a lot of shopping around, couldn't better £800 for his last renewal.

Sponsored Links
My Mum too.

She was born December 36 and only does around 2-3K a year.

Her premium is around 800.

Yeah, my dad is running into that problem now. He was OK until he was 75, but thereafter, it started to get a bit harder to find a good deal. He's 83 now, and despite us both doing a lot of shopping around, couldn't better £800 for his last renewal.
Ties in with what one of my neighbours is paying, he is 89.

our car was hit by others and their insurance paid for it so no claims on our policy
But they then say that that proves you routinely leave your car in a place where it will be damaged, increasing their risk, so "here's a higher premium sir".

I don't think there is any way they don't get you

Sponsored Links
But they then say that that proves you routinely leave your car in a place where it will be damaged, increasing their risk, so "here's a higher premium sir".
It was hit while waiting at traffic lights. Annoyingly, less than 24 hours after getting it back from the body shop, my sons neighbour reversed out of her drive, carries on going and went straight into the side of it while parked on the other side of the road!

Part of the reason for my Mum's increase was given as being involved in a collision. When we drilled into the reason, it turned out to be when my Mum was driving down a road and someone reversed out of a driveway straight into the side of her.
Mum's car was written off, the woman lied through her teeth about what happened, but eventually after months of wrangling, ending with the 3rd party being threatened with court by Mum's then insco, she admitted liability and her insurance coughed up for all the losses.

When I asked Mum's new insco why this accident put their, premium up when a full recovery was made and indeed her insco at the time did not increase any premiums at renewal after the accident, they said that because she had had the accident, that was enough to increase the risk, regardless of blame!

My Mum too.

She was born December 36 and only does around 2-3K a year.

Her premium is around 800.

When I asked Mum's new insco why this accident put their, premium up when a full recovery was made and indeed her insco at the time did not increase any premiums at renewal after the accident, they said that because she had had the accident, that was enough to increase the risk, regardless of blame!
I've heard of this tactic before, thieving b.....ds.
Like I said earlier, the biggest legal rip-off :(

Part of the reason for my Mum's increase was given as being involved in a collision. When we drilled into the reason, it turned out to be when my Mum was driving down a road and someone reversed out of a driveway straight into the side of her.
Mum's car was written off, the woman lied through her teeth about what happened, but eventually after months of wrangling, ending with the 3rd party being threatened with court by Mum's then insco, she admitted liability and her insurance coughed up for all the losses.

She has my sympathy. A few years ago, in my worthless old Freelander, a lorry with a very wide, overhanging load, tried to squeeze down a road that was way too narrow for it. The trailer had rear wheel steering and I was stationary, stuck in a line of traffic on the other side of the road. I was unfortunate enough to be pretty much at the apex of the bend he was trying to get round. The trailer swung out and put a gash all down one side of the Landrover. Despite the lorry driver accepting liability, and his insurers coughing-up (the Landy was written-of), I still got a slight premium hike for the "Non-fault" accident!

Of course; the spin is that you're clearly the sort of person who positions their car so that it is involved in accidents so you're and increased risk..

Always irked me too that you can build up no-claims bonus on a motorcycle but you can't use that to reduce a car premium, yet if you have a motorcycle accident it hikes your car premium

Sponsored Links
Back