Insect mesh for eaves of new shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I got me a new shed.

I'm currently fitting it out. I'm putting 100mm rigid insulation between the 6" roof timbers with an air-gap above (it's actually pretty effective even now in this 30° heat).

I want to discourage insects, particularly wasps (we have fruit trees which they love) from making a home in this.

Can anyone suggest or recommend a form of insect mesh for the eaves?

these guys offer 3 flavours - aluminium, fibreglass and stainless - any merits to each type? Any other suggestions, particularly regarding fixing to a bunch of timber ends?

Sponsored Links
Either will do.

The plastic one will tend to try and stay flat, so you can't bend it and expect it to stay in position without fixings - which can be useful sometimes for packing gaps. It is also less robust and will break if impacted. If these issues wont matter it would be a cheaper option.

The two metal ones will perform the same, it just depends if you want black or shiny.

Why don't you just mesh the front and leave the back open to bats or wasps that way they won't be near the doors.

Why don't you just mesh the front and leave the back open to bats or wasps that way they won't be near the doors.
I like the idea of encouraging bats, however I don't want to offer any invitation to wasps, front or rear, as if a nest does get in there, it'll be a pig of a job to sort out.

Sponsored Links
There is one or two wasps nests in virtually every roof I do. Generally speaking the occupants don't even know they are there, they won't cause your roof any harm.

There is one or two wasps nests in virtually every roof I do. Generally speaking the occupants don't even know they are there, they won't cause your roof any harm.
The trouble is, there will be no sign on the roof only permitting wasps, so it becomes a bit of a free for all.

In any case, all insect nests or individuals cause damage long term - directly to timber, or consequently such as damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back