Insinkerator and waste plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have got one of those Insinkerators (macerator) and if I had a pound for every time my plumbing got blocked up from it I would be a rich man.

Anyone got any ideas on how to replumb this waste system?

I think the easiest way to unblock this system would be to use a plunger. The only problem is that with the vibration with the macerator and the suction of the plunger is that the plumbing tries falling apart.

Would this system benefit from some sort of solvent joints? And is there anyway I can insert a service/unblocking hatch??

Dan

Sponsored Links
1. Make sure there is always water running when the macerator is going, and for thirty seconds afterwards.
2. Don't put onion peelings down it. They block as soon as you can blink.
3. Subject to the layout of your under sink drainage you might be able to fit rodding points to the pipework, which would enable you to clear blockages with a flexible "snake" type cleaner or even with drain rods.
4. You might be able to fit a rodding point to the pipework outside your property for the same reasons as 4.

Sponsored Links
Ideally get rid of the wretched thing, there's enough crud getting into the sewers already that shouldn't be there, food scraps etc should ideally be composted or put into the waste bin, (although a lot of Councils are now offering a food waste collection with the household refuse collection), the sewers are for removal of human waste, toilet tissue and water, nothing else!

However, as you've already got it, then I suspect we wont persuade you to remove it until such time as it breaks completely, so meanwhile you need to replumb your waste pipework. Use 40mm solvent welded pipe and fittings, (which, if done properly, will never fall apart!) Fit a tee instead of a bend as necessary, http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-equal-tees-white-40mm-pack-of-3/99915, and then fit a rodding eye in the unused socket of the tee to provide access for cleaning as required. http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-abs-access-plug-white-40mm-pack-of-5/23322

Use solvent cement to make the joints and assemble run dry first, once the glue is on the joint will set solid in seconds, and if its not right, you'll be wasting a lot of time and fittings!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back