Inspiration please ! Bridging the gap from slabs to gutter.

XRO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I have a slabbed patio over storerooms and a retaining wall. The builders have left too little overhang for the slabs of the patio to drip to the gutter. Its not an option to get them back.

Here's the problem;

So I need to provide a run for the rainwater falling on the patio to allow it to flow to the gutter.

Any inspirational ideas? So far I have come up with bonding a flexible membrane to the lip of the slab that then drapes into the gutter. Its not exactly elegant though.

Cheers

Tim

Sponsored Links
The slabs need to project out to discharge into the gutter but, more important, the roof covering below the slabs also needs to project into the gutter.
What the eaves detail is, its impossible to tell from your pic.

You dont have a fascia or a drip edge so water will find its way behind the gutter and down the face of the render.

You dont have a handrail either. A Blg Regs and insurance requirement.

The rendered parapet on the far side of the roof is showing moisture retention.

Your suggestion for "bonding a flexible membrane" will not work.

Far more info about the total building detail would be needed to help me, or hopefully us, to understand how the extension and roof have been built.

• Thanks
Reactions: XRO
Not sure what to do about the render yet, and the balustrade is in hand. As it were.

No real detail to give on the wall detail - there really isn't any.

Here's the cross-section;

Hopefully the diagram is clear but the current external detail is just render up to the insufficient overhang of the slab. The membrane terminates behind the render.

I'm looking for either an elegant drip edge type solution as ree suggests, or otherwise move the slabs out and live with a wider grout line on the patio. That doesn't come without further problems, hence investigating the drip line. Even with a greater overhang I need to fit something and as is clear - I'm no expert. In fact I can usually find unique ways to entirely mess a job up.

T

Sponsored Links
Good advice from freddy! The slabs shouldnt oversail the edge of the roof as the joints aint sealed ! So it wouldnt ever be a water tight drip edge. The single ply base should have a proper drip into the gutter if installed right as Ree says!

• Thanks
Reactions: XRO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back