Install solid wood over chipboard in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to floor my en-suite with solid wood flooring.

If you go to B&Q site and search for "B&Q Select Solid Oak Flooring Natural" then you will see similar to what I am planning to put down.

The floor at the moment is that chipboard sheeting stuff which is typically used as a base when flooring out an attic ... or in my case, on new builds.

My question is how do I ensure that the floor remain waterproof?

The walls as yet are untouched (they will be tiled to at least half height afterwards), but do have skirting and the room is kitted out with toilet, sink and shower. I see no issue in removing the toilet and sink so that the flooring and any waterproofing can go edge to edge. The shower tray is over-sized and doesn't need to be removed, so long as the front edge is protected.

There are a few pipes which come up from the floor for the radiator, sink, etc., that I will have to work around, but see no issue with cutting holes in the flooring and dropping it over the pipe ... sealing any gaps with???

Hope that this makes sense

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'f you must put oak in the bathroom go with an unfinished engineered board not a solid. Engineered boards are much more stable and finishing the wood on site ensures a much better water proof barrier.

A Square edged engineered board is the best option as after a sand and seal the finish is one complete barrier (no gaps between the boards).

If i do a pub floor its all i would recommend, engineered and finished on site as in this link;

http://hmcflooring.com/portfolios/victoria-inn/

I agree with HMC in that an engineered board would be more suited to the job due to the fact that it is much less prone to movement. I would also advise that when choosing an engineered board you make sure the quality is there as this can vary massively. Some engineered boards have been known to de-laminate if they come in contact with water so do thoroughly check the specification.

Also do shop around first as without saying company names some are much more expensive than others.

As mentioned above i would also advise that you either go for an unfinished engineered board or one that is compatible with further treatment on site to make the floor as water proof as possible. Treatex hard wax oil is one of your options. It offers great protection for the flooring and makes the flooring easy to maintain with Treatex maintenance products. Some info on Treatex can be found here:

http://www.jfjflooring.co.uk/index.php/fitfinish

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
The suggestions on the flooring sound good ... many thanks for that.

But, what's the score with protecting the sub-floor ... as it's only chipboard any water will soon destroy it ... and I can't see that I can have a solid edge-to-edge with the flooring boards as I need to leave a little room for movement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back