Installation Design Documents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

Understanding that BCO's can vary wildly between local authorities, can anyone give some pointers on what they're likely to want to see at the design stage please.

I've reached out to my Local Authority BCO to ascertain what they would want to see but would like to prepare myself.

The works I'm hoping to undertake are:-
Replacement of Consumer Unit - 1990s vintage to Hager RCBO Board
Separation of single lower floor final ring circuit > Kitchen Final Ring Circuit/Rest of Lower Floor Final Ring Circuit
Expansion of first floor final ring circuit + 4 total (1 per room) accessories (double socket)
Conversion of 1st floor accessories (single socket to double socket)
Addition of Radial Circuit to Garage (single double socket)
Addition of Lighting Circuit to Garage (it's currently pulled off the downstairs lighting)
Addition of Radial Circuit to Office (Office doesn't exist currently, will be utilising half of Garage)
Addition of Lighting Circuit to Office - As Above.

There are some other remedial works that need correcting, like sockets dangling from ceilings which need removing and making good but I was going to run through the EICR process before starting anyway so everything is identified properly and I know what I'm starting from - See Below - Great Job......

IMG_1052.jpg

Any and all advice would be greatly welcomed.

I’m not just coming at this with a plucky attitude and a calibrated MFT 1720……honest.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Understanding that BCO's can vary wildly between local authorities, can anyone give some pointers on what they're likely to want to see at the design stage please. I've reached out to my Local Authority BCO to ascertain what they would want to see but would like to prepare myself.
As you say, BCOs are a law unto themselves but, at least in my experience, at least some would not expect much (if anything) more, initially, than a list of what was to be done and a statement that everything would be done in compliance with the current version of BS 7671.

At the other extreme, you could find yourself dealing with a 'nightmare BCO' - so I think all you can do is wait for a response, and thereby get a feeling as to whether you are dealing with a #benevolent/sensible' or a 'nightmare' one :)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.

I’ve got the on site guide and the regs although not sure I’ve got all the addendums.
Will wait to see what they come back with.

Programme of works is in my head so better write that down.

Thanks John. I’ve got the on site guide and the regs although not sure I’ve got all the addendums.
Fair enough. Just one warning about the OSG ... you probably wouldn't 'go wrong' by following it, since it tends to be 'conservative', but it does 'make up' some guidelines which go beyond what is actually required to satisfy 'the regs' (BS7671) themselves.

As you probably know, the current version is Amendment 2 (published last year) of BS7671:2018 - and that Amendment did introduce quite a few fairly significant changes. Does your OSG relate to that amendment?
Will wait to see what they come back with.
As I said, I think that's all you can do - and you may (or may not!) be pleasantly surprised :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've got the blue one................ I'm guessing I need the brown one.
And that's not a phrase I've often said.

Just my luck.

Cheers
Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back