Installation of Gas fired boiler and Gas cooker

...i prefer tradesman that welcome someone on a budget doing what they can in terms of prep.
It would help if you gave a rough indication of what that budget is for boiler, cooker, and gas supply. The bigger the appliance, the bigger the required gaspipe. Big gaspipe in more expensive in materials as well as labour, so if it falls outside the budget you might want to change your mind on where the boiler goes.

Sponsored Links
dan i want to know the route so i can do the prep work like lifting floor boards, drilling walls, do my own costings, etc, to bring the project costs down, simple really.
i prefer tradesman that welcome someone on a budget doing what they can in terms of prep.

Well surely the obvious thing to to is to choose your RGI and discuss the installation with him?

Your first post said that you have had several "tradesmen" round and they have given you differing views.

Since you have not apparently been paying them anything then why do you expect them to give you free advice?

agile, i havent forced anyone to come round the house. all the tradesmen have done so voluntarily. i presume them wanting a site visit is something to do with with being able to provide an accurate quote for the job. some tradesmen have been helpful and those tradesmen will be called back to tender for the route we have in mind. a few tradesmen however have had scant regard for what we want, and what is allowable on a listed building, and perhaps just had in mind the highest charges they could get for the easiest (shortest) route. if i had just listened to some of the tradesmen and blindly accepted what they said, i may have a boiler flue exiting the front wall of my house now in contravention of the opinion given by the local listed building officer. i know full well to listen to the expert so you dont have to tell me to do so. i simply check what im told is correct. it always pays to be informed as a customer!

newgasinstaller, what a teribble attitude, if that is your charging model, then it seems to me you're overcharging those who have the audacity to want to cut their costs by doing prep work. i expect you prefer a customer who is entirely unknowledgeable then people like you and agile you can just pluck prices out of the air!

bengasman, i am looking at an entry level range cooker, circa £400 to £500 and a 30 to 35kw boiler. i will cut my cloth to fit by getting a cheaper cooker rather than risking sub optimum gas pipe infrastructure.

Sponsored Links
...bengasman, i am looking at an entry level range cooker, circa £400 to £500 and a 30 to 35kw boiler. i will cut my cloth to fit by getting a cheaper cooker rather than risking sub optimum gas pipe infrastructure.
That is only 1 element, do you have a ballpark figure for the whole "gas project" i.e. total for appliances, materials, and labour?

i presume them wanting a site visit is something to do with with being able to provide an accurate quote for the job. some tradesmen have been helpful and those tradesmen will be called back to tender for the route we have in mind.

Surely if they came with a view to giving a quote then that is what they should have been asked for on the visit?

Now you want to call some back for a second visit! Time and petrol is money for them!

But I dont see why you are asking questions on here when we have not seen your property and have no idea whats involved.

You should select your preferred RGI and get him to quote for exactly what you want! Obviously without wasting the time of any others!

Tony

I was just meaning that it wouldnt take me long to prep the route I wanted. On average say 1 hour. So why would I charge much less to save me an hour considering I would have to tell you exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it done which would take probably most of the hour saved??

Im not being nasty in my posts just saying that nobody cangive you a accurate size without seeing the house.

As Agiles says choose you fav gas man ask him to plan your gas route and let him get on

I understand you want to pay less but most trades people would rather just do the work instead of having the customer help them out.

Out of interest how many tradesmen on here would lower their quote considerably to a cust that wants to do prep work?

...Out of interest how many tradesmen on here would lower their quote considerably to a cust that wants to do prep work?
Depending on the conditions of the prepping, that could be considerable. Not unheard of that certain customers get considerable discounts for, erh, helping tradesmen.

agile, i havent forced anyone to come round the house. all the tradesmen have done so voluntarily. i presume them wanting a site visit is something to do with with being able to provide an accurate quote for the job. some tradesmen have been helpful and those tradesmen will be called back to tender for the route we have in mind. a few tradesmen however have had scant regard for what we want, and what is allowable on a listed building, and perhaps just had in mind the highest charges they could get for the easiest (shortest) route. if i had just listened to some of the tradesmen and blindly accepted what they said, i may have a boiler flue exiting the front wall of my house now in contravention of the opinion given by the local listed building officer. i know full well to listen to the expert so you dont have to tell me to do so. i simply check what im told is correct. it always pays to be informed as a customer!

newgasinstaller, what a teribble attitude, if that is your charging model, then it seems to me you're overcharging those who have the audacity to want to cut their costs by doing prep work. i expect you prefer a customer who is entirely unknowledgeable then people like you and agile you can just pluck prices out of the air!

bengasman, i am looking at an entry level range cooker, circa £400 to £500 and a 30 to 35kw boiler. i will cut my cloth to fit by getting a cheaper cooker rather than risking sub optimum gas pipe infrastructure.
:mrgreen:

newgasinstaller, whilst i am not a gas fitter i have experience in building and there is a good 3-4 hours work in prepping the route to access and drill 2 9 inch solid walls, and lift boards in 3 rooms and a hallway, and lay gulley in a room with a solid floor ... youre taking nonsense to suggest i wouldnt pay for that!

Agile, simple answer to your complete guess, they did provide quotes! but the quotes were in some cases for routes that later turned out to be unfeasable due to listed building rules regarding flue placement. Youre completely contradictory, you say i should get a quote for exactly what i want but dont like it when im trying to figure out what i want. it will be easier to get quotes when i am asking them for something more specific because last time they all had different ideas.

Agile, I suggest you read my original post, and the questions in that post, rather than just commenting on whatever you want. The main thing I wanted to know is that (unless my route is proved to be crazy in which case I will happily bow to experience) the number of turns and length in my route is likely to lead to larger gauge pipes rather than be entirely unfeasible. newgasinstaller, I have not expected to receive exact sizing of pipes without a visit, I am just trying to ascertain if the route i have in mind is likely to be feasable with the available pipe products etc, and it seems it is from one of the repliers who has a similar house size and configuration.

without sizes then

- yes it is fine as a route. Any route would be. When planning it remember to keep it direct as possible with as few bends as poss. If you do this then you can be happy knowing the pipesize you have to use will be the smallest your house could have had.
- 90* fittings add more restriction/frictional losses to the carcas than formed bends. The degree of extra fric loss again depends on the size of pipework.
- Ok 9" walls ok I WOULD PAY YOU TO DO THAT!!! hope you have a good core drill
- the sizes of you cooker/boiler are important. Decide on the sizes before you start pipe sizing.
- Also there are places you cant run gas pipes (cavities of walls for an example)

newgasinstaller, yes i am concerned about drilling the walls as i suspect i would have to hire an industrial drill..i would be surprised if my standard handheld is up to it..is a medium/heavy duty core drill part of a gas engineer's standard tool kit? if so, i will consider opening up access and speccing the drilling itself as part of the job
thanks

newgasinstaller, yes i am concerned about drilling the walls as i suspect i would have to hire an industrial drill..i would be surprised if my standard handheld is up to it..is a medium/heavy duty core drill part of a gas engineer's standard tool kit? if so, i will consider opening up access and speccing the drilling itself as part of the job
thanks

Most plumbers that fit boilers will have a core drill (flue, condense, wastes pipes etc)

I did i stone farm house 6 months ago and had to hire a industrial drilling company as my heavy duty dewalt drill and very expensive bits wouldnt touch the stone.

Have a ring around local diamond drilling firms and get some prices. If the walls are that hard it will pay you to hire somebody yourself as if you plumber hires the driller they will probs put some on the price (I would hehe)

Defo ring around I always get three quotes my prices went from £700 £450 and £175 ish. All said no sucess no payment so went with cheapest

Out of interest how many tradesmen on here would lower their quote considerably to a cust that wants to do prep work?

I would actually increase my quote as past experience tells me the DIYer wont prep the route correctly, and I will end up doing more work that I would in the first place not only putting it right, but explaining/arguing why it needs putting right.

And TBH this business of being invited back to tender after already doing a site visit to quote is lunacy to expect for a domestic client. The OP seems to want the free instruction to try and do part of the job themselves. Do you really think RGI's spend a small fortune on training, certification, equipment, Gas Safe registration, insurance etc etc, just so we can tell you for free how to do the job that one of us should be earning a living doing ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back